Worth taking a Peake
A new production of Mervyn Peake s modern classic Gormenghast will be at The Junction for the venue s first three-night run this month. The David Glass Ensemble has resurrected its award-winning 1992 production to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Pea
A new production of Mervyn Peake's modern classic Gormenghast will be at The Junction for the venue's first three-night run this month.
The David Glass Ensemble has resurrected its award-winning 1992 production to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Peake's novel Titus Groan - the first book in the Gormenghast trilogy.
Glass has been one of the foremost exponents of physical and visual theatre for the last 25 years, and has an impressive roster of former pupils, including Emma Thompson, Stephen Daldrey, and Simon McBurney.
He returns with an up-and-coming cast, and the opportunity to step inside Peake's world of grotesque characters, mysterious ritual, and bone-chilling events.
You may also want to watch:
The story follows the rather strange inhabitants of Gormenghast Castle, and follows scheming kitchen boy Steerpike's rise to power as he becomes the 77th earl and lord.
With a Machievellian mind and a talent for controlling the actions of others, Steerpike will stop at nothing to secure his rise to power.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 3 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 7 Royal Ascot: ones to watch on final day
- 8 Comedy festival IS going ahead - with Covid-safe measures in place
- 9 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 10 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
This production promises to be a fantastic re-working of Glass's adaptation, and tickets already look set to sell out.
INFORMATION: Gormenghast runs at The Junction 2: The Shed, from June 22-24. Phone the box office on 01223 511 511 for more information.