Worth taking a Peake
A new production of Mervyn Peake s modern classic Gormenghast will be at The Junction for the venue s first three-night run this month. The David Glass Ensemble has resurrected its award-winning 1992 production to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Pea
A new production of Mervyn Peake's modern classic Gormenghast will be at The Junction for the venue's first three-night run this month.
The David Glass Ensemble has resurrected its award-winning 1992 production to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Peake's novel Titus Groan - the first book in the Gormenghast trilogy.
Glass has been one of the foremost exponents of physical and visual theatre for the last 25 years, and has an impressive roster of former pupils, including Emma Thompson, Stephen Daldrey, and Simon McBurney.
He returns with an up-and-coming cast, and the opportunity to step inside Peake's world of grotesque characters, mysterious ritual, and bone-chilling events.
The story follows the rather strange inhabitants of Gormenghast Castle, and follows scheming kitchen boy Steerpike's rise to power as he becomes the 77th earl and lord.
With a Machievellian mind and a talent for controlling the actions of others, Steerpike will stop at nothing to secure his rise to power.
- 1 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 2 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 3 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 4 Men's health champion receives funding boost from Ashwell Masonic Lodge
- 5 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 6 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 7 'Flood the internet' to save waterways in South Cambs
- 8 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 9 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 10 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
This production promises to be a fantastic re-working of Glass's adaptation, and tickets already look set to sell out.
INFORMATION: Gormenghast runs at The Junction 2: The Shed, from June 22-24. Phone the box office on 01223 511 511 for more information.