When will they be famous?
Idlewild should be more famous than they are. I know everybody says that about their favourite bands, but in this case it s true. Their back catalogue is jam-packed with catchy songs perfect for jumping up and down to, and, one slightly iffy album (20
Idlewild should be more famous than they are. I know everybody says that about their favourite bands, but in this case it's true.
Their back catalogue is jam-packed with catchy songs perfect for jumping up and down to, and, one slightly iffy album (2004's Warnings/Promises) aside, their output has been consistently good over the years.
Unfortunately their popularity seems to be on the wane, and the fact that they are again playing venues the size of the Junction is probably a sad indictment of the bands career trajectory of late.
Oh well, never mind. The rest of the world's loss was the 300 or so people at the concert's gain. Arriving on the back of a greatest hits album, Idlewild were always likely to play a crowd-pleasing set, and so it proved, as they kicked off with I Don't Have a Map and You Held the World in your Arms.
You may also want to watch:
Songs from the bands last studio album, Make Another World, featured prominently. Everything (As it Moves), No Emotion, and In Competition for the Worst Times were all enthusiastically received by the audience, while old favourites When I Argue I See Shapes and Everybody says you're so Fragile also went down well.
Their encore contained rare outings for Chandelier and 4 People Do Good, alongside perhaps their biggest hit, American English.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 9 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
Greatest hits albums can often signal the end of a bands career, but one hopes this is not the case for Idlewild, who on this kind of form still have plenty to offer.