When will they be famous?
Idlewild should be more famous than they are. I know everybody says that about their favourite bands, but in this case it s true. Their back catalogue is jam-packed with catchy songs perfect for jumping up and down to, and, one slightly iffy album (20
Idlewild should be more famous than they are. I know everybody says that about their favourite bands, but in this case it's true.
Their back catalogue is jam-packed with catchy songs perfect for jumping up and down to, and, one slightly iffy album (2004's Warnings/Promises) aside, their output has been consistently good over the years.
Unfortunately their popularity seems to be on the wane, and the fact that they are again playing venues the size of the Junction is probably a sad indictment of the bands career trajectory of late.
Oh well, never mind. The rest of the world's loss was the 300 or so people at the concert's gain. Arriving on the back of a greatest hits album, Idlewild were always likely to play a crowd-pleasing set, and so it proved, as they kicked off with I Don't Have a Map and You Held the World in your Arms.
Songs from the bands last studio album, Make Another World, featured prominently. Everything (As it Moves), No Emotion, and In Competition for the Worst Times were all enthusiastically received by the audience, while old favourites When I Argue I See Shapes and Everybody says you're so Fragile also went down well.
Their encore contained rare outings for Chandelier and 4 People Do Good, alongside perhaps their biggest hit, American English.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 10 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
Greatest hits albums can often signal the end of a bands career, but one hopes this is not the case for Idlewild, who on this kind of form still have plenty to offer.