By Victoria Hislop - Priced £6.99 JOURNALIST Victoria Hislop makes her debut with The Island. On the brink of a life-changing decision, Alexis Fielding longs to find out about her mother s secret past. All she admits to is growing up in a small Cretan vil
By Victoria Hislop - Priced £6.99
JOURNALIST Victoria Hislop makes her debut with The Island.
On the brink of a life-changing decision, Alexis Fielding longs to find out about her mother's secret past. All she admits to is growing up in a small Cretan village before moving to London. When Alexis decides to visit Crete, however, her mother gives her a letter to take to an old friend, and promises that through her she will learn more.
Alexis is astonished to discover the nearby deserted island of Spinalonga, Greece's former leper colony. She then goes on to learn the story that her mother has buried all her life and, in the process, discovers how intimately she was connected with the island and how secrecy holds them in its all powerful grip.
You may also want to watch:
The Island has received critical acclaim and is included in Richard and Judy's Summer Read shortlist.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 6 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 7 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended