By Victoria Hislop - Priced £6.99 JOURNALIST Victoria Hislop makes her debut with The Island. On the brink of a life-changing decision, Alexis Fielding longs to find out about her mother s secret past. All she admits to is growing up in a small Cretan vil
By Victoria Hislop - Priced £6.99
JOURNALIST Victoria Hislop makes her debut with The Island.
On the brink of a life-changing decision, Alexis Fielding longs to find out about her mother's secret past. All she admits to is growing up in a small Cretan village before moving to London. When Alexis decides to visit Crete, however, her mother gives her a letter to take to an old friend, and promises that through her she will learn more.
Alexis is astonished to discover the nearby deserted island of Spinalonga, Greece's former leper colony. She then goes on to learn the story that her mother has buried all her life and, in the process, discovers how intimately she was connected with the island and how secrecy holds them in its all powerful grip.
You may also want to watch:
The Island has received critical acclaim and is included in Richard and Judy's Summer Read shortlist.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches