The boys are in town
ALAN Bennett s multi-award winning tale of comedy, tragedy, and growing up is in Cambridge this week. The History Boys is set in the 1980s and follows an unruly bunch of bright, funny sixth-form boys in pursuit of sex, sport and a university place. With
ALAN Bennett's multi-award winning tale of comedy, tragedy, and growing up is in Cambridge this week.
The History Boys is set in the 1980s and follows an unruly bunch of bright, funny sixth-form boys in pursuit of sex, sport and a university place.
With Oxbridge entrance examinations looming, the boys are under the guidance of a maverick English teacher at odds with the young and shrewd supply teacher.
Then there is the headmaster obsessed with results, and the history teacher who thinks he's a fool.
You may also want to watch:
The play explores teenage angst and homosexuality, blending it with themes such as teaching methods and the English education system.
Since The History Boys opened at the National Theatre in 2004, it has won many awards, including the Tony, Laurence Olivier, Evening Standard and Critics' Circle Awards for Best New Play, and the 2005 South Bank Show Award for Theatre.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
The play has seen two UK tours as well as seasons on Broadway and in the West End and the 2006 film adaptation was nominated for two BAFTA Film Awards.
The cast for the tour, in Cambridge for just four days, includes Elizabeth Bell, Tim Delap, Daniel Fine, and Desmond Barrit.
The History Boys is playing at the Cambridge Arts Theatre until November 3.
Tickets cost £10-£30 and are available from 01223 503333.