Swan of the best!
ONE of the most beautiful and popular of all classical ballets will grace the stage of the Gordon Craig Theatre next week. The world-renowned Moscow Ballet – La Classique will perform Tchaikovsky s Swan Lake. The ballet was originally presented at the Bo
ONE of the most beautiful and popular of all classical ballets will grace the stage of the Gordon Craig Theatre next week.
The world-renowned Moscow Ballet - La Classique will perform Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake.
The ballet was originally presented at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow in 1877, but was superseded by a new choreographed version by Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov at the Maryinsky Theatre in St Petersburg in 1895.
It was in this version that Ivanov choreographed the famous Act II as part of a memorial tribute to Tchaikovsky, who died the previous year.
The updated Swan Lake has now been performed by almost every ballet company in the world.
It is a story which follows a prince whose mother suggests he select his future wife at the formal celebration of his coming of age the next day.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 10 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
However, Prince Siegfried decides to go hunting and alone by a lake he sees Odette - Queen of the Swans.
With a spell placed upon her by evil sorcerer Von Rothbart, Odelle must remain a swan except between midnight and dawn, unless she is saved by a true love. Of course Prince Siegfried swears his undying love, but Rothbart wickedly disguises his own daughter, Odile, as the swan-maiden. When Siegfried realises, he collapses in guilt and despair, but will Odette forgive him and be restored to her human form?
The famous La Classique was founded in 1990 with ballet dancers from the leading theatres of the CIS countries, and the Bolshoi, Kirov and Ballet Theatres of Kiev and Odessa.
And celebrated soloists Nadejda Ivanova, Iryna Klyuyeva, Andrey Lyapin, and Dmitry Smirnov will lead the Moscow Ballet Company under the direction of Elik Melikov.
Swan Lake will be on stage at the Gordon Craig Theatre from March 21-22 at 7.45pm with a Saturday matinee at 2.30pm. Tickets cost £16-19 and are available from the box office on 08700 131030 or online at www.gordon-craig.co.uk