String-along with Richard
RICHARD Thompson, one of Britain s top guitarists, plays Cambridge Corn Exchange this month. Thompson came to fame as a founder member of folk rock giants Fairport Convention in the 60s, and contributed some stunning guitar work to their early albums. He
RICHARD Thompson, one of Britain's top guitarists, plays Cambridge Corn Exchange this month.
Thompson came to fame as a founder member of folk rock giants Fairport Convention in the 60s, and contributed some stunning guitar work to their early albums.
He left the band after the release of Full House in 1970, and embarked on a distinguished solo career, also making albums with his then wife Linda.
He has also played with other Fairport Convention members past and present, at the band's annual Cropredy festival in Oxfordshire.
You may also want to watch:
Now Thompson, named by Rolling Stone magazine as one of the top 20 greatest guitarists, is back on the road again, with a new album, Sweet Warrior.
He is equally at home with traditional tunes, haunting acoustic pieces, and searing electric rock.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 10 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
He is also highly regarded as one of the country's top songwriters.
Supporting Thompson at the Corn Exchange will be songwriter Diana Jones from Tennessee.
The concert starts at 7.30pm and tickets cost £20.
Contact the box office on 0223 357851.