String-along with Richard
RICHARD Thompson, one of Britain s top guitarists, plays Cambridge Corn Exchange this month. Thompson came to fame as a founder member of folk rock giants Fairport Convention in the 60s, and contributed some stunning guitar work to their early albums. He
RICHARD Thompson, one of Britain's top guitarists, plays Cambridge Corn Exchange this month.
Thompson came to fame as a founder member of folk rock giants Fairport Convention in the 60s, and contributed some stunning guitar work to their early albums.
He left the band after the release of Full House in 1970, and embarked on a distinguished solo career, also making albums with his then wife Linda.
He has also played with other Fairport Convention members past and present, at the band's annual Cropredy festival in Oxfordshire.
Now Thompson, named by Rolling Stone magazine as one of the top 20 greatest guitarists, is back on the road again, with a new album, Sweet Warrior.
He is equally at home with traditional tunes, haunting acoustic pieces, and searing electric rock.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 4 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 8 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 9 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
He is also highly regarded as one of the country's top songwriters.
Supporting Thompson at the Corn Exchange will be songwriter Diana Jones from Tennessee.
The concert starts at 7.30pm and tickets cost £20.
Contact the box office on 0223 357851.