5,000 people turn out for Royston Kite Festival 2019
- Credit: Archant
Families flocked to Therfield Heath on Sunday to enjoy the Royston Kite Festival.
Rotarians were on a high on Sunday, when the 2019 Royston Kite Festival took to the air again over Therfield Heath.
The day was "a roaring success" said Royston Rotarian Ray Munden, who managed this year's event. "Everything seemed to work in our favour this year," he said.
"The weather was warm, but not too hot, a good breeze pleased the kite fliers, the historic vehicles sparkled, and of course Royston families turned out in strength to support the show."
The space round the arena was filled with family groups, many with picnics, and there were more traders and community organisation stalls than ever.
Ray said: "It's become a real community event, which is what Rotary is all about. It's wonderful that the festival raises money for charity , but it's just as important that we bring our local community together on this unique day out."
About 5,000 people came to see the show, and although the full accounts won't be ready for some days, Rotarians are sure that there will be a healthy surplus to benefit president Martin Berry's chosen charity, the Sick Children's Trust. Ray paid tribute to the hard work of the many Rotarians whose effort and commitment made the day a success.
- 1 Therfield pub celebrates lockdown heroes
- 2 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 Last veterans of the 6th Airborne Division honoured in poignant IWM Duxford exhibition
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 10 Sign up to Rainbow Run in aid of our hospitals
"It's an amazing piece of teamwork, and it shows that when we all pull together, we can do amazing things," he said.
For more on Royston Rotary Club go to www.roystonrotary.com.