QE2: Forty Years Famous - Carol Thatcher
IT doesn t really seem possible that the QE2 was launched 40 years ago – and is now making her last appearances on the ocean. Here Carol Thatcher looks at the history of Cunard s pride and joy: from the early days of the battles over its revolutionary des
IT doesn't really seem possible that the QE2 was launched 40 years ago - and is now making her last appearances on the ocean.
Here Carol Thatcher looks at the history of Cunard's pride and joy: from the early days of the battles over its revolutionary design through to the more sedate years when it was seen in all its glory as a luxury liner.
That, however, is not to say that it's past 40 years on the high seas has not had its moments of drama.
There were episodes of engine troubles and collisions - and the time when the Ministry of Defence called her into active service as a troop ship during the Falklands War.
You may also want to watch:
But in spite of the problems the QE2 always had charm which makes a book about her history quite engrossing.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 4 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 5 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?