QE2: Forty Years Famous - Carol Thatcher
IT doesn t really seem possible that the QE2 was launched 40 years ago – and is now making her last appearances on the ocean. Here Carol Thatcher looks at the history of Cunard s pride and joy: from the early days of the battles over its revolutionary des
IT doesn't really seem possible that the QE2 was launched 40 years ago - and is now making her last appearances on the ocean.
Here Carol Thatcher looks at the history of Cunard's pride and joy: from the early days of the battles over its revolutionary design through to the more sedate years when it was seen in all its glory as a luxury liner.
That, however, is not to say that it's past 40 years on the high seas has not had its moments of drama.
There were episodes of engine troubles and collisions - and the time when the Ministry of Defence called her into active service as a troop ship during the Falklands War.
You may also want to watch:
But in spite of the problems the QE2 always had charm which makes a book about her history quite engrossing.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims