Maureen Nolan to star as Blood Brothers returns to Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
Maureen Nolan is to star in Willy Russell’s multi-award winning musical Blood Brothers as it returns to Cambridge.
Star of family pop group The Nolans, Maureen will reprise the role of Mrs Johnstone having previously played the character in the West End to critical acclaim.
Continuing its UK tour, Blood Brothers will be back at Cambridge Arts Theatre from September 2-6, two years after a successful run at the venue in St Edwards’ Passage.
Set in Liverpool, Blood Brothers tells the moving story of two twin boys separated at birth, only to be reunited years later by a twist of fate and mother Mrs Johnstone’s haunting secret. The score includes hits A Bright New Day, Marylin Monroe, and the emotionally-charged Tell Me It’s Not True.
Affectionately titled ‘the standing ovation musical’, the show ran in London’s West End for 24 years and has been touring the rest of the UK since 1995.
You may also want to watch:
Film producer Bill Kenwright’s version surpassed 10,000 performances in London – one of only three musicals to achieve the milestone.
Blood Brothers has won four awards for best musical in London, and had seven Tony Award nominations on Broadway.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
The show is one of a number of successes for writer Willy Russell, who also penned Educating Rita – turned into a movie after running in the West End – and film Shirley Valentine.
Blood Brothers will be performed nightly at 7.45pm, with 2.30pm matinee performances on Thursday, September 4, and Saturday, September 6.
To buy tickets, which range from £15-£35 and are subject to a £2.50 booking fee, visit www.cambridgeartstheatre.com or call 01223 503333.