Maureen Nolan to star as Blood Brothers returns to Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
Maureen Nolan is to star in Willy Russell’s multi-award winning musical Blood Brothers as it returns to Cambridge.
Star of family pop group The Nolans, Maureen will reprise the role of Mrs Johnstone having previously played the character in the West End to critical acclaim.
Continuing its UK tour, Blood Brothers will be back at Cambridge Arts Theatre from September 2-6, two years after a successful run at the venue in St Edwards’ Passage.
Set in Liverpool, Blood Brothers tells the moving story of two twin boys separated at birth, only to be reunited years later by a twist of fate and mother Mrs Johnstone’s haunting secret. The score includes hits A Bright New Day, Marylin Monroe, and the emotionally-charged Tell Me It’s Not True.
Affectionately titled ‘the standing ovation musical’, the show ran in London’s West End for 24 years and has been touring the rest of the UK since 1995.
You may also want to watch:
Film producer Bill Kenwright’s version surpassed 10,000 performances in London – one of only three musicals to achieve the milestone.
Blood Brothers has won four awards for best musical in London, and had seven Tony Award nominations on Broadway.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
The show is one of a number of successes for writer Willy Russell, who also penned Educating Rita – turned into a movie after running in the West End – and film Shirley Valentine.
Blood Brothers will be performed nightly at 7.45pm, with 2.30pm matinee performances on Thursday, September 4, and Saturday, September 6.
To buy tickets, which range from £15-£35 and are subject to a £2.50 booking fee, visit www.cambridgeartstheatre.com or call 01223 503333.