Matt’s stuck on Mars, but that won’t stop him popping in to Royston this weekend
- Credit: Courtesy Twentieth Century Fox
It’s fair to say that intelligent sci-fi isn’t the default setting when the money men from Hollywood give the green light to a space epic.
Stacks of green screen special effects, alien adversaries with outlandish make-up, shoot outs in outer space and plentiful merchandise opportunities for character figures and other tie-ins – that’s the sort of thing that floats their boat.
So when a film comes along that is all about the characters and the story, rather than the comic book trickery, it either gets a royal reception or sinks without trace.
Of course, anyone setting out to make intelligent sci-fi has another pitfall to avoid – there’s always the chance that you will finish up with a pretentious pile of pants that sets out to answer eternal questions but ends up being a wordy wodge of stilted dialogue and cinematic confusion.
That’s far from the case in The Martian, Ridley Scott’s latest outer space epic – the worst thing you can say about it is that it runs for a good bit over two hours when it’s essentially a very simple story.
You may also want to watch:
On a manned mission to Mars everything goes wrong and Matt Damon gets left behind.
Now stranded and alone, with supplies sufficient for just 30 days, he manages to get a message back home and a rescue mission swings into action. It’s going to take ages to reach him, though, and somehow he has to figure out how to survive.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
Luckily he’s a brainy sort, and back on earth a whole team – Jessica Chastain, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kristen Wiig, Jeff Daniels, even Sean Bean have parts to play in what you might think is essentially a solo piece – are rooting for him.
The Martin is showing on Friday and Saturday at Royston Picture Palace – visit www.roystonpicturepalace.org.uk to reserve tickets.