Mari’s still the bees knees!
HER gravity-defying beehive hairdo first graced the music scene in the early 1980s – and now the High Priestess of Hairspray is back. Mari Wilson, who stormed the charts with sequinned frocks and evening gloves, will be coming to the Gordon Craig Theat
HER gravity-defying beehive hairdo first graced the music scene in the early 1980s - and now the 'High Priestess of Hairspray' is back.
Mari Wilson, who stormed the charts with sequinned frocks and evening gloves, will be coming to the Gordon Craig Theatre next week The show celebrates the 25th anniversary of Mari's first top ten hit - Just What I've Always Wanted - which has now been re-released and re-packaged, along with all the singles and the hit album Showpeople.
Also known as 'The Neasden Queen of Soul', 'Miss Beehive 1982' and 'The Nymphette of Nail Varnish', Mari along with her choreographed 12-piece band The Wilsations, had six hit singles, including Cry Me a River.
Mari also has many musical theatre appearances under her belt such as Nickie Pignatelli in Sweet Charity, Dusty Springfield in Dusty The Musical, and the Boy George musical Taboo.
You may also want to watch:
The theme tune Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps for the BBC TV series Coupling was performed by Mari, along with several other film and television tracks.
And last year Mari's album Dolled Up was released on her own label Beehive Records.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 4 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 5 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 8 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 10 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
Now her retro sense of glamour and style and big hair is making a comeback with the fashion world and celebrities such as Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen.
But it was Mari who was first to revive the hive.
Mari Wilson will be at the Gordon Craig Theatre on October 26.
Tickets are £15 and are available from the box office on 08700 131030 or online at www.gordon-craig.co.uk