Mari’s still the bees knees!
HER gravity-defying beehive hairdo first graced the music scene in the early 1980s – and now the High Priestess of Hairspray is back. Mari Wilson, who stormed the charts with sequinned frocks and evening gloves, will be coming to the Gordon Craig Theat
HER gravity-defying beehive hairdo first graced the music scene in the early 1980s - and now the 'High Priestess of Hairspray' is back.
Mari Wilson, who stormed the charts with sequinned frocks and evening gloves, will be coming to the Gordon Craig Theatre next week The show celebrates the 25th anniversary of Mari's first top ten hit - Just What I've Always Wanted - which has now been re-released and re-packaged, along with all the singles and the hit album Showpeople.
Also known as 'The Neasden Queen of Soul', 'Miss Beehive 1982' and 'The Nymphette of Nail Varnish', Mari along with her choreographed 12-piece band The Wilsations, had six hit singles, including Cry Me a River.
Mari also has many musical theatre appearances under her belt such as Nickie Pignatelli in Sweet Charity, Dusty Springfield in Dusty The Musical, and the Boy George musical Taboo.
You may also want to watch:
The theme tune Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps for the BBC TV series Coupling was performed by Mari, along with several other film and television tracks.
And last year Mari's album Dolled Up was released on her own label Beehive Records.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 6 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 9 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 10 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
Now her retro sense of glamour and style and big hair is making a comeback with the fashion world and celebrities such as Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen.
But it was Mari who was first to revive the hive.
Mari Wilson will be at the Gordon Craig Theatre on October 26.
Tickets are £15 and are available from the box office on 08700 131030 or online at www.gordon-craig.co.uk