Little Death: Pete and the Pirates
ON hearing comparisons with Razorlight and the Kaiser Chiefs, I didn t hold out much hope for Pete and the Pirates. However, after giving their debut album, Little Death, several listens, I m pleased to report that I was wrong. For the record, Pete and t
ON hearing comparisons with Razorlight and the Kaiser Chiefs, I didn't hold out much hope for Pete and the Pirates.
However, after giving their debut album, Little Death, several listens, I'm pleased to report that I was wrong.
For the record, Pete and the Pirates sound more like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers (in their mellower moments) crossed with British rockers such as the Libertines or Supergrass.
They certainly have a style all of their own, and this means that Little Death is at times an engaging affair. Knots and Mr Understanding rattle along at a cracking pace, while Eyes Like Tar features some delightful harmonies.
Not all the songs are quite so memorable, but even so, Little Death is certainly more Jack Sparrow than Captain Pugwash. 3/5.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 8 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 9 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages