Katie Melua – Pictures
MIKE Batt, the man behind the musical exploits of the Wombles, has, for the last few years, been championing the talents of Katie Melua. The Georgian songstress has already scored hits with songs such as Closest Thing to Crazy and Nine Million Bicyles, an
MIKE Batt, the man behind the musical exploits of the Wombles, has, for the last few years, been championing the talents of Katie Melua.
The Georgian songstress has already scored hits with songs such as Closest Thing to Crazy and Nine Million Bicyles, and drawn comparisons with Norah Jones and Eva Cassidy.
However, judging by her latest album, Pictures, Batt would be better off sticking to writing novelty singles.
Melua undoubtedly possesses a great voice, sharing a gravely quality with former Catatonia singer Cerys Matthews, but this turgid collection of songs does little to extend it.
In fact, most sound like slight variations on Closest Thing, giving Pictures a familiar feel.
Having penned two of the better songs on the record (What I Miss About You and the Kate Bush-esque Spellbound), there is certainly more to come from Katie Melua.
- 1 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 2 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 3 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 4 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 5 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 6 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 7 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 8 IN PICTURES: A Cambridgeshire showcase at the inaugural County Day
- 9 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 10 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
But for now, Pictures is an album for die-hard fans only.