Katie Melua – Pictures
MIKE Batt, the man behind the musical exploits of the Wombles, has, for the last few years, been championing the talents of Katie Melua. The Georgian songstress has already scored hits with songs such as Closest Thing to Crazy and Nine Million Bicyles, an
MIKE Batt, the man behind the musical exploits of the Wombles, has, for the last few years, been championing the talents of Katie Melua.
The Georgian songstress has already scored hits with songs such as Closest Thing to Crazy and Nine Million Bicyles, and drawn comparisons with Norah Jones and Eva Cassidy.
However, judging by her latest album, Pictures, Batt would be better off sticking to writing novelty singles.
Melua undoubtedly possesses a great voice, sharing a gravely quality with former Catatonia singer Cerys Matthews, but this turgid collection of songs does little to extend it.
In fact, most sound like slight variations on Closest Thing, giving Pictures a familiar feel.
Having penned two of the better songs on the record (What I Miss About You and the Kate Bush-esque Spellbound), there is certainly more to come from Katie Melua.
- 1 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
But for now, Pictures is an album for die-hard fans only.