Katie Melua – Pictures
MIKE Batt, the man behind the musical exploits of the Wombles, has, for the last few years, been championing the talents of Katie Melua. The Georgian songstress has already scored hits with songs such as Closest Thing to Crazy and Nine Million Bicyles, an
MIKE Batt, the man behind the musical exploits of the Wombles, has, for the last few years, been championing the talents of Katie Melua.
The Georgian songstress has already scored hits with songs such as Closest Thing to Crazy and Nine Million Bicyles, and drawn comparisons with Norah Jones and Eva Cassidy.
However, judging by her latest album, Pictures, Batt would be better off sticking to writing novelty singles.
Melua undoubtedly possesses a great voice, sharing a gravely quality with former Catatonia singer Cerys Matthews, but this turgid collection of songs does little to extend it.
You may also want to watch:
In fact, most sound like slight variations on Closest Thing, giving Pictures a familiar feel.
Having penned two of the better songs on the record (What I Miss About You and the Kate Bush-esque Spellbound), there is certainly more to come from Katie Melua.
- 1 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 2 Local Election 2021 results: NHDC leader loses seat
- 3 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 4 Local Election 2021: Counting starts for North Herts council
- 5 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 8 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 9 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 10 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
But for now, Pictures is an album for die-hard fans only.