Katie Melua – Pictures
MIKE Batt, the man behind the musical exploits of the Wombles, has, for the last few years, been championing the talents of Katie Melua. The Georgian songstress has already scored hits with songs such as Closest Thing to Crazy and Nine Million Bicyles, an
MIKE Batt, the man behind the musical exploits of the Wombles, has, for the last few years, been championing the talents of Katie Melua.
The Georgian songstress has already scored hits with songs such as Closest Thing to Crazy and Nine Million Bicyles, and drawn comparisons with Norah Jones and Eva Cassidy.
However, judging by her latest album, Pictures, Batt would be better off sticking to writing novelty singles.
Melua undoubtedly possesses a great voice, sharing a gravely quality with former Catatonia singer Cerys Matthews, but this turgid collection of songs does little to extend it.
You may also want to watch:
In fact, most sound like slight variations on Closest Thing, giving Pictures a familiar feel.
Having penned two of the better songs on the record (What I Miss About You and the Kate Bush-esque Spellbound), there is certainly more to come from Katie Melua.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
But for now, Pictures is an album for die-hard fans only.