Katie Melua – Pictures
MIKE Batt, the man behind the musical exploits of the Wombles, has, for the last few years, been championing the talents of Katie Melua. The Georgian songstress has already scored hits with songs such as Closest Thing to Crazy and Nine Million Bicyles, an
MIKE Batt, the man behind the musical exploits of the Wombles, has, for the last few years, been championing the talents of Katie Melua.
The Georgian songstress has already scored hits with songs such as Closest Thing to Crazy and Nine Million Bicyles, and drawn comparisons with Norah Jones and Eva Cassidy.
However, judging by her latest album, Pictures, Batt would be better off sticking to writing novelty singles.
Melua undoubtedly possesses a great voice, sharing a gravely quality with former Catatonia singer Cerys Matthews, but this turgid collection of songs does little to extend it.
You may also want to watch:
In fact, most sound like slight variations on Closest Thing, giving Pictures a familiar feel.
Having penned two of the better songs on the record (What I Miss About You and the Kate Bush-esque Spellbound), there is certainly more to come from Katie Melua.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
But for now, Pictures is an album for die-hard fans only.