Weather puts a dampener on IWM Duxford showcase day
- Credit: Gerry Weatherhead
Adverse weather conditions cut short the showcase day flying display at IWM Duxford on Wednesday.
The afternoon flying session at the Cambridgeshire museum was brought forward due to the weather.
It was scheduled to be a joint showcase display with Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome in Essex.
However, spectators got to see little flying action at the historic airfield on August 19, although P-51 Mustang ‘Miss Helen’ did take to the overcast skies.
The next scheduled showcase day at Duxford Airfield is planned for Saturday, October 10, with tickets on sale now.
Before then, IWM Duxford will host the Battle of Britain Air Show over the weekend of Friday, September 18 to Sunday, September 20.
This year’s annual Battle of Britain Air Show will mark 80 years since the Royal Air Force defended the British skies from the German Luftwaffe.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 6 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 7 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 10 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
The weekend will kick off with the new Friday proms event with live swing music, sunset flypasts and vintage entertainment for all the family.
Visitors to Cambridgeshire’s historic airfield and aviation museum can stand in the footsteps of the ‘Few’, hear the roar of Spitfire and Hurricane engines and watch daring flying displays.
Attendance this year will be capped to ensure the safety of visitors and staff, so booking in advance is recommended.
Tickets cost from £36 and they are available from the IWM Duxford website at www.iwm.org.uk