IT’S time to get in the mood
The Memphis Belle Swing Band will be re-living the music of the Second World War at a hangar dance at Bassingbourn Barracks. Organiser Chris Murphy said he decided to take on the task of planning the hangar dance after the success of a previous event seve
The Memphis Belle Swing Band will be re-living the music of the Second World War at a hangar dance at Bassingbourn Barracks.
Organiser Chris Murphy said he decided to take on the task of planning the hangar dance after the success of a previous event several years ago.
Then about 1,000 people packed a hangar at the barracks.
"It's quite appropriate to have this particular band as the Memphis Belle was involved in all its missions from Bassingbourn," said Mr Murphy.
You may also want to watch:
The band was created for the making of David Puttnam's film - and has now become one of the leading swing bands in the country.
"They are really awesome," said Mr Murphy.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
The hangar dance on Saturday, June 9 will raise much-needed cash for the Tower Museum at the barracks.
The dance will include the music of Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Harry James and. obviously, Glenn Miller.
- Details about tickets costing £20 each are available online at www.towermuseumbassingbourn.co.uk