It’s box office gold as the Avengers return to action at Royston’s Picture Palace
- Credit: Archant
Right, take a deep breath, let’s see who is starring in this weekend’s blockbuster presentation at Royston’s Picture Palace.
In no particular order that would be Robert Downey Jr, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Samuel L. Jackson, Elizabeth Olsen, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Uncle James Spader and all.
That’s because Saturday’s show is a guaranteed bums on seats blockbuster in the shape of Avengers: Age of Ultron.
The whole Avengers franchise is about shoehorning as many superheroes as possible into a hefty chunk of eye-smacking celluloid.
You’ll get nearly 21/2 hours of special effects, smart-aleck dialogue and a storyline that, as always , requires you to check your brain at the door.
You may also want to watch:
The massed ranks of Marvel superheroes have a job on their hands as they team up to take on an insane sentient robot bent on destroying mankind.
The villain of the piece is actually the creation of ace inventor Tony ‘Iron Man’ Stark, who came up with Ultron as a sort of supply superhero to give his costumed crew a well-earned break.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 10 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
But then Ultron takes it into his chips to consider humans as the enemy, and starts laying waste to all around him.
James Spader might be considered a little long in the tooth to be struggling into spandex, but his contribution is the voice of the villainous Ultron.
Also new for this adventure are the aforementioned Elizabeth Olsen with Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Paul Bettany also popping up. Expect the expected, just louder.
In a less frenetic mood, Friday night sees a showing of Clouds Of Sil Maria, an ensemble piece which features Juliette Binoche, Kristen Stewart and Chloe Grace Moretz.
It’s a luvvie fest about an actress advanced in her career who is asked to feature in a revival of the play that made her name 20 years before.
Back then she was the alluring young girl, now she’s asked to play the role of the older woman in her life who is eventually driven to suicide.
As the women rehearse for the production, parallels between the roles and their real lives become apparent.
Both films are showing at 7.30pm, to reserve tickets visit www.roystonpicturepalace.org.uk.
The big release on the multiplex front is Minions, the 3D spin-off from family animation franchise Despicable Me. Lots of star voice talent, giggles galore, this one is going to make a mint this summer and everybody knows it.