Heather Small to support Bananarama at Newmarket Nights concert
- Credit: Picture: KEVIN RICHARDS
Proud singer Heather Small – the unmistakable voice of M People – will support Bananarama at Newmarket Racecourses this summer.
The Jockey Club Live has announced the soul star will appear on the same line-up as Robert De Niro's Waiting... girl group Bananarama at Newmarket Nights on Friday, August 9.
Amy Starkey, regional director east of Jockey Club Racecourses, said: "We are thrilled to be able to add the wonderful Heather Small to a bill that already includes Bananarama, creating a Newmarket Night that is sure to be packed with unforgettable hits, produced by a trio of iconic female recording artists.
"Beloved for her work as the lead singer of M People, Heather Small co-wrote and performed one of the biggest songs of the century in Proud, and that is exactly how we feel to have her making her July Course debut this summer!"
As part of Moving On Up hit-makers M People, Heather Small became one of the seminal British voices of the 1990s.
She sang on M People's biggest hits including One Night In Heaven, Open Your Heart and Search For The Hero, and albums such as Elegant Slumming and Bizarre Fruit.
M People won the Best British Dance Act Award at the BRITs in 1994 and 1995, as well as the Mercury Music Prize for second album Elegant Slumming.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 3 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 4 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 5 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 6 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
Heather has since enjoyed great successes with two solo albums.
The title track of her Proud album has gone on to become the soundtrack synonymous to a whole host of sporting events including London's successful 2012 Olympic bid, England's victory at the Rugby World Cup celebrations, and the official ceremony marking the handover of the Olympic Games from Beijing to London.
Having graced the main stage at Knebworth Park's inaugural Cool Britannia Festival last summer, she will be opening the Newmarket evening for pop duo Bananarama.
One of the most successful female bands worldwide, Bananarama have had more than 30 top 40 UK hits including Venus, Love in the First Degree and Cruel Summer.
Earlier this year Sara Dallin and Keren Woodward released In Stereo, Bananarama's 11th studio album and first in 10 years.
It went straight into the top 40 of the UK Official Charts.
The first live music event of the year at Newmarket Racecourses will see Nile Rodgers and CHIC play Summer Saturday Live on June 8, 2019.
? Tickets are on sale now from thejockeyclublive.co.uk with prices starting at £27.
Terms and conditions are available on newmarket.thejockeyclub.co.uk
There are hospitality packages available to suit all budgets.