Folk legend is still on song
LEGENDARY folk singer Joan Baez brings her timeless music to Cambridge Corn Exchange next month. Born in 1941, Baez was a prominent figure on the American folk scene in the early 60s, and alongside Bob Dylan, she was on the cutting edge of the protest mov
LEGENDARY folk singer Joan Baez brings her timeless music to Cambridge Corn Exchange next month.
Born in 1941, Baez was a prominent figure on the American folk scene in the early 60s, and alongside Bob Dylan, she was on the cutting edge of the protest movement.
This year she has been selected to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.
There is also the release this month of a collectors' edition of her album Ring Them Bells, an expanded and re-mastered edition.
And Baez also appears on a new album by roots rocker John Mellencamp.
She continues to remain at the forefront of the contemporary music scene, and last year joined Bruce Springsteen and the Seeger Sessions Band onstage at the Sleep Train Pavilion in Concord, California, for a version of Pay Me My Money Down.
- 2 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 3 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 4 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 5 Men's health champion receives funding boost from Ashwell Masonic Lodge
- 6 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 7 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 8 OPINION: Jettison inertia and save money
- 9 'Flood the internet' to save waterways in South Cambs
- 10 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
She is said to be a big fan of Springsteen's latest effort, We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions.
Her Corn Exchange appearance is part of a tour which takes her through England, Scotland, and Wales, and on into mainland Europe, visiting Germany, France, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, and the Czech Republic.
- Tickets cost £29.50, from the Corn Exchange box office on 01223 357851.