Floats like a butterfly – sings like a dream!
ELLEN Kent and Opera International s new traditionally-staged production, Madama Butterfly, performed by the Chisinau National Opera, is coming to the Cambridge Corn Exchange next month. Madama Butterfly features a host of international soloists, a 40-pie
ELLEN Kent and Opera International's new traditionally-staged production, Madama Butterfly, performed by the Chisinau National Opera, is coming to the Cambridge Corn Exchange next month.
Madama Butterfly features a host of international soloists, a 40-piece orchestra - and a stunning Japanese garden.
The production is based on a true story, and tells of an innocent geisha girl who falls in love with an American sailor.
Puccini's popular tale is the original inspiration for the popular West End musical Miss Saigon.
You may also want to watch:
As Alain Boubil and Claude Schonberg, the authors of the Miss Saigon story, said: "We resolved to write our own story, retaining Butterfly's basic plot of a misunderstanding between two individuals of different cultures."
Highlights from Ellen Kent and Opera International's production of Madama Butterfly include the Humming Chorus, the poignant aria One Fine Day, and the Love Duet.
- 1 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 5 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 6 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 7 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
The opera is packed with raw emotion and passion, with exciting performances from Irina Vinogradova, Nadia Stoianova and Galina Bernaz as Madama Butterfly, and the international tenor Rusian Zinevych, who performed with Pavarotti in summer 2004. It is sung in Italian with English surtitles.
For tickets call the Box Office on 01223 357851. The performance starts at 7.30pm.