First Royston, then Las Vegas - Phoenix singers all set for charity gala
- Credit: Archant
An evening of excellence in acapella singing in Royston next week will provide a welcome boost to a range of good causes in the town.
Providing the music will be members of the Phoenix Chorus, which was formed 1978 by a group of six women who wanted to sing four-part unaccompanied harmony.
Now there are nearly 80 members of all ages and from all walks of life, who share a huge passion for singing!
Over the years they have captured an impressive array of awards and medals both at home and abroad.
They hone their skills with performances to a wide variety of audiences in venues large and small – from the Royal Albert Hall to humbler local venues – and members pride themselves on their professional approach to all contests and performances.
You may also want to watch:
They will be performing at Royston Methodist Church in the town’s Queen’s Road next Saturday, March 21.
The concert begins at 7.45pm and organisers promise a programme that will include pop, show tunes, toe-tappers and moving ballads.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 10 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
Among the guests will be Mayor of Royston Councillor Victoria Hulström-Allen and the proceeds will be shared between her chosen charities, Royston & District Girl Guides and the Mayor’s Community Trust Fund, as well as the church.
The chorus has a fundraising challenge of its own – after silver medal success in a regional competition which pitted them against the rivals from all over the UK, Ireland and the Netherlands, they’ve been invited to compete at the Sweet Adelines International Convention in Las Vegas in October, and are hard at work gathering the cash they will need to fund the transatlantic trip.
Tickets for the Royston date are £8 and include light refreshments – call Brian on 07895 095455 for more details.