Rock musicians set for South Cambs winter concert in aid of mental health cause
- Credit: Archant
The East Anglian rock community is once again coming together to stage a South Cambs concert in aid of a Meldreth mental health and suicide prevention charity.
The EastFest gig series at The Coach House Hotel in Flint Cross was established following the tragic suicide of Meldreth rock guitarist Richard East, who took his own life last year.
The inaugural festival in July saw seven local bands - many comprising former friends and bandmates of Richard - take to the stage on the five-acre site to help raise £7,500 for mental health charity, The MindEd Trust.
At the time, Richard's wife Sandra said: "His loss highlights the curse of mental illness and suicide in our community and I am deeply touched by the love and support everyone has shown in planning this marvellous event.
"Richard would have loved to be a part of this, but is sadly no longer with us. We must do all we can to prevent future tragedy."
READ MORE: Rock music festival to be held in memory of Meldreth guitaristThe MindEd Trust was established by Meldreth resident Steve Mallen who lost his son Edward to suicide in 2015 aged just 18.
You may also want to watch:
The charity supports mental health and suicide prevention training and awareness in South Cambs and North Herts with a particular focus on young people.
It is devoted to destroying the stigma surrounding mental illness and providing care and support for those experiencing trauma. Mr Mallen said: "Rich East was a childhood friend of mine and his loss, adding to the terrible death of my own son, continues to resonate deeply in our community - highlighting the growing burden of mental illness on our society.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
"EastFest is all about having fun while raising funds to help local people. We are delighted to be staging a more intimate winter evening of music and fun."
The EastFest team's Winter Warmer Acoustic Concert will see bands and musicians from across the region come together to perform old rock favourites and original work.
It takes place at The Coach House in Flint Cross on Saturday, December 14, from 7pm. Entry to the event is free and pre-booking is not required. Attendees are invited to make charitable donations on the evening.