Big band in the swing
SIT back, relax and get ready for an uplifting evening of Swing n Sinatra at the Gordon Craig Theatre, Stevenage, on Sunday. Musicians Chris and Simone Smith will lead an eight-piece band, Five Star Swing, for an evening of big band swing songs. Simone
SIT back, relax and get ready for an uplifting evening of Swing 'n' Sinatra at the Gordon Craig Theatre, Stevenage, on Sunday.
Musicians Chris and Simone Smith will lead an eight-piece band, Five Star Swing, for an evening of big band swing songs.
Simone said: "The show is different to the usual big bands that go around. We cover a variety of music by a range of musicians.
"We do everything from Ella Fitzgerald right the way through to Jools Holland. They are artists we are passionate about."
You may also want to watch:
Hits from Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole and Ella Fitzgerald will get everyone in the mood for an evening of big band classics.
Chris and Simone have been musicians for 20 years and come from musical backgrounds.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
Simone, 42, who sings and plays lead alto saxophone, has played with artists such as Paul Weller and John Williams.
She has also performed a saxophone solo on the Paul Merton television show and has worked with the all-woman Ivy Benson Show Band, who performed during the Second World War.
Chris, 46, also sings but plays the trumpet and piano and his compositions are frequently played on Jazz FM and BBC Radio 2.
He has also performed on Top of the Pops, Breakfast TV with Herb Miller - the brother of Glenn Miller - and has performed solo in the Michael Caine film Silver Bears.
He said: "It's great that there's a strong resurgence in jazz and swing music enjoyed by all generations, mainly thanks to artists such as Robbie Williams, Jamie Cullam and Westlife.
"I've been brought up with this style of music as my father plays trombone professionally and performed with Frank Sinatra on his last tour."
The production will start at 7.45pm.
Tickets are £16.50 and are available from the box office on 08700 131 030 or online at www.gordon-craig.co.uk
Following Sunday's performance, Chris and Simone will be travelling to Brighton, Eastbourne, St Albans, Leighton Buzzard and Welwyn Garden City.
They are combining their hectic schedule with Come Dancing evenings with a five to six-piece band. The band visits dancing groups or organisations which would like to dance the night away or just listen to the music.
Simone said: "We want to monitor it and see what the interest is like."
If anyone would like more details about the Come Dancing sessions visit www.fivestarswing.co.uk or call Chris or Simone on 07771 515160.