Athlete on the track
London-based Indie-rockers Athlete return to Cambridge Corn Exchange next week as part of their full UK tour. The four-piece are supporting their latest album Beyond the Neighbourhood, and will also be performing tracks from previous albums Tourist and V
London-based Indie-rockers Athlete return to Cambridge Corn Exchange next week as part of their full UK tour.
The four-piece are supporting their latest album Beyond the Neighbourhood, and will also be performing tracks from previous albums Tourist and Vehicles and Animals.
Athlete's debut single Westside was released in March 2002, and the band have had great success ever since.
Their 2003 Mercury-nominated debut album Vehicles and Animals went platinum, but their second, 2005's Tourist, outshone its predecessor with double platinum sales.
You may also want to watch:
The celebrated band, whose single Wires was named Best Contemporary Song at the Ivor Novello Awards, recorded their most recent album in a studio which they built themselves.
Beyond the Neighbourhood is another example of their trademark effortless hooks and snagging melodies, and is also lyrically striking.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 7 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
It exudes the joys of living 'in this amazing world where so many mad things keep happening' says drummer Stephen Roberts on the band's website.
Recording an album in their own studio and without a producer, the band say they had freedom to experiment.
Former Weevil guitarist Jonny Picher has been added to the Athlete live line-up, after enhanced guitar use on this latest album.
And there are some more 'organic' sounds, with which the band confess to have become a little obsessed with.
Beats made from doors slamming, equipment being hit or shaken, and switches flicking, can all be heard.
Athlete will be playing at the Corn Exchange on next Tuesday, at 7.30pm.
Tickets are sold out at the box office.
However some may be available from other ticket agents, such as www.soldouteventtickets.com