Ashwell Show to host camel racing, dog show and more
- Credit: Archant
The Ashwell Show returns on bank holiday Monday – and will host camel racing for the first time in its 99-year history.
Organisers say it promises to be a "thrilling spectacle", with the camels and their jockeys dressed in fantastically colourful Arabian-style outfits - and a chance to meet the camels between races too.
Other hooved events include the horse show, while the dog show, birds of prey demonstration, hounds display, vintage cars, tractors, craft tent and demonstrations all make a return.
For families there's free face painting, free children's craft tent, children's entertainer, climbing wall, archaeological dig, pony rides and a Red Arrows simulator.
When it comes to food, there will be cakes served up by the Ashwell WI, fresh food choices with global cuisine, plus a prosecco bar and beer tent.
Gates open in the village at 8.30am and close at 5pm.
Entry is £9 for adults, £5 for concessions and under 18s, while under fives go free. Parking is free, with advance tickets available at a 20 per cent discount from ashwellshow.co.uk.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 3 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 4 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 7 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 8 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
The Ashwell Show is run by volunteers and, over the last 10 years, the show has raised more than £100,000 for local clubs, societies and organisations.