Youth team maintain perfect start
Royston Town Youth 3 Blackstones 2
Royston Town Youth team deservedly beat Blackstones on Wednesday night to continue their 100 per cent start to the season.
The side are growing in confidence and they probably should have won this game by a bigger margin but, as it was, three goals proved enough to secure the three points.
Blackstones took a third-minute lead with a simple volley from a well delivered corner but the response was superb from Royston as they gradually stamped their authority onto the game and began passing the ball well.
They equalised midway though the half when Daniel Bond lashed home a half cleared free kick and 60 seconds later the game was turned around when Ryan Webb’s pin-point cross was sliced into his own net by a Blackstones defender.
You may also want to watch:
Royston continued to dominate in the second half with Bond shooting wide when clear before George Duffin volleyed over from close range.
Shane Carthy struck a post with a crisp 20-yard strike while Webb’s run a fierce shot was superbly tipped over at full stretch by the Blackstones stopper.
- 1 Melbourn Post Office reopens in new location
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 4 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 5 Litlington's Josh ploughs into top spot with competition win
- 6 History Society unveils new town heritage board
- 7 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 8 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
It was left to 15-year-old Jordan Hall to finish the Crow’s scoring when his fine looping header from Webb’s cross found the net.
Blackstones fought until the very end and were rewarded with an injury-time penalty after a handball was given but it didn’t take any gloss off Royston’s fine performance.