Youth team maintain perfect start
Royston Town Youth 3 Blackstones 2
Royston Town Youth team deservedly beat Blackstones on Wednesday night to continue their 100 per cent start to the season.
The side are growing in confidence and they probably should have won this game by a bigger margin but, as it was, three goals proved enough to secure the three points.
Blackstones took a third-minute lead with a simple volley from a well delivered corner but the response was superb from Royston as they gradually stamped their authority onto the game and began passing the ball well.
They equalised midway though the half when Daniel Bond lashed home a half cleared free kick and 60 seconds later the game was turned around when Ryan Webb’s pin-point cross was sliced into his own net by a Blackstones defender.
You may also want to watch:
Royston continued to dominate in the second half with Bond shooting wide when clear before George Duffin volleyed over from close range.
Shane Carthy struck a post with a crisp 20-yard strike while Webb’s run a fierce shot was superbly tipped over at full stretch by the Blackstones stopper.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
It was left to 15-year-old Jordan Hall to finish the Crow’s scoring when his fine looping header from Webb’s cross found the net.
Blackstones fought until the very end and were rewarded with an injury-time penalty after a handball was given but it didn’t take any gloss off Royston’s fine performance.