Youth team in good cup run
ROYSTON under-nines finished runners-up in the Herts County Mini Rugby Festival 2009 in Harpenden. In the first game they took on Harpenden and finished 1-0 victors thanks to a try for Sam Hurd and against a strong Welwyn side Royston went behind early on
ROYSTON under-nines finished runners-up in the Herts County Mini Rugby Festival 2009 in Harpenden.
In the first game they took on Harpenden and finished 1-0 victors thanks to a try for Sam Hurd and against a strong Welwyn side Royston went behind early on but an excellent try-saving hit from Angus Few-Martin and a solo effort by Ben Sams helped them to a 1-1 draw.
In the third game against Hitchin, Royston had to win by six points to go through.
They won by eight, with tries from Hurd (two), Sams (two), Oscar Jones, Harry Davey, Adam Siddle and Jamie Caldwell.
You may also want to watch:
In the semis Royston played Chess Valley and won at the toss of a coin after the two teams had drawn 2-2 with Hurd getting Royston's two.
In the final Royston had to do it all again against Welwyn and although the Royston team played their hearts out they were finally beaten 2-0.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
Meanwhile the under-sevens finished second in their group and the under-eights lost in the semis at the end-of-season county tag festival.
The under-10s were the pick of the midi teams but lost to Old Albanians, the under-11s lost their matches to bigger clubs and the under-12s won one game in a hard group.