Youth team in good cup run
ROYSTON under-nines finished runners-up in the Herts County Mini Rugby Festival 2009 in Harpenden. In the first game they took on Harpenden and finished 1-0 victors thanks to a try for Sam Hurd and against a strong Welwyn side Royston went behind early on
ROYSTON under-nines finished runners-up in the Herts County Mini Rugby Festival 2009 in Harpenden.
In the first game they took on Harpenden and finished 1-0 victors thanks to a try for Sam Hurd and against a strong Welwyn side Royston went behind early on but an excellent try-saving hit from Angus Few-Martin and a solo effort by Ben Sams helped them to a 1-1 draw.
In the third game against Hitchin, Royston had to win by six points to go through.
They won by eight, with tries from Hurd (two), Sams (two), Oscar Jones, Harry Davey, Adam Siddle and Jamie Caldwell.
You may also want to watch:
In the semis Royston played Chess Valley and won at the toss of a coin after the two teams had drawn 2-2 with Hurd getting Royston's two.
In the final Royston had to do it all again against Welwyn and although the Royston team played their hearts out they were finally beaten 2-0.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 3 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 4 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 5 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 6 Royal Ascot: ones to watch on final day
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Comedy festival IS going ahead - with Covid-safe measures in place
Meanwhile the under-sevens finished second in their group and the under-eights lost in the semis at the end-of-season county tag festival.
The under-10s were the pick of the midi teams but lost to Old Albanians, the under-11s lost their matches to bigger clubs and the under-12s won one game in a hard group.