Youth team in good cup run
ROYSTON under-nines finished runners-up in the Herts County Mini Rugby Festival 2009 in Harpenden. In the first game they took on Harpenden and finished 1-0 victors thanks to a try for Sam Hurd and against a strong Welwyn side Royston went behind early on
ROYSTON under-nines finished runners-up in the Herts County Mini Rugby Festival 2009 in Harpenden.
In the first game they took on Harpenden and finished 1-0 victors thanks to a try for Sam Hurd and against a strong Welwyn side Royston went behind early on but an excellent try-saving hit from Angus Few-Martin and a solo effort by Ben Sams helped them to a 1-1 draw.
In the third game against Hitchin, Royston had to win by six points to go through.
They won by eight, with tries from Hurd (two), Sams (two), Oscar Jones, Harry Davey, Adam Siddle and Jamie Caldwell.
In the semis Royston played Chess Valley and won at the toss of a coin after the two teams had drawn 2-2 with Hurd getting Royston's two.
In the final Royston had to do it all again against Welwyn and although the Royston team played their hearts out they were finally beaten 2-0.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 9 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 10 Cambridge Literary Festival is back with first names announced for spring 2022 showpiece
Meanwhile the under-sevens finished second in their group and the under-eights lost in the semis at the end-of-season county tag festival.
The under-10s were the pick of the midi teams but lost to Old Albanians, the under-11s lost their matches to bigger clubs and the under-12s won one game in a hard group.