Youth team in good cup run
ROYSTON under-nines finished runners-up in the Herts County Mini Rugby Festival 2009 in Harpenden. In the first game they took on Harpenden and finished 1-0 victors thanks to a try for Sam Hurd and against a strong Welwyn side Royston went behind early on
ROYSTON under-nines finished runners-up in the Herts County Mini Rugby Festival 2009 in Harpenden.
In the first game they took on Harpenden and finished 1-0 victors thanks to a try for Sam Hurd and against a strong Welwyn side Royston went behind early on but an excellent try-saving hit from Angus Few-Martin and a solo effort by Ben Sams helped them to a 1-1 draw.
In the third game against Hitchin, Royston had to win by six points to go through.
They won by eight, with tries from Hurd (two), Sams (two), Oscar Jones, Harry Davey, Adam Siddle and Jamie Caldwell.
In the semis Royston played Chess Valley and won at the toss of a coin after the two teams had drawn 2-2 with Hurd getting Royston's two.
In the final Royston had to do it all again against Welwyn and although the Royston team played their hearts out they were finally beaten 2-0.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
Meanwhile the under-sevens finished second in their group and the under-eights lost in the semis at the end-of-season county tag festival.
The under-10s were the pick of the midi teams but lost to Old Albanians, the under-11s lost their matches to bigger clubs and the under-12s won one game in a hard group.