Youngsters impress for Royston II
Royston II 116 all out beat Newton 98 all out by 18 runs Royston II fielded eight players under 19 years old for this important league game and they had a real fight against Newton. Batting appeared to be really difficult three weeks after their last le
Royston II 116 all out beat Newton 98 all out by 18 runs
Royston II fielded eight players under 19 years old for this important league game and they had a real fight against Newton.
Batting appeared to be really difficult three weeks after their last league match as they struggled to make headway on a blameless pitch.
Paul Leary showed remarkable patience as he batted for most of the innings for his 16 as wickets tumbled at the other end.
Rory Harper (17) was the only other batsman to achieve double figures, though brother Bonham held out for an important nine not out seeing out the overs and ensuring a score of over 100 was achieved as Royston finally scraped their way to 116.
The Royston team faired much better when fielding as Nick Hootton (9-2-24-3) and Neil Addison (6-0-16-1) had Newton in trouble right from the start.
- 1 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 5 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 6 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 7 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 8 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
Swindell (13) and Esterhuizen (12) fought back but the introduction of Dave Isherwood proved decisive as he bowled Swindell and had top scorer Aspinall (30) caught behind by Rory Harper as, despite having three catches dropped at first slip, he managed to return 10-4-18-3.
C Keyworth (19) tried to battle through but wily spinner Max McClean cleaned him up as Newton finally finished on 98 all out.