Youngsters impress for Royston II
Royston II 116 all out beat Newton 98 all out by 18 runs Royston II fielded eight players under 19 years old for this important league game and they had a real fight against Newton. Batting appeared to be really difficult three weeks after their last le
Royston II 116 all out beat Newton 98 all out by 18 runs
Royston II fielded eight players under 19 years old for this important league game and they had a real fight against Newton.
Batting appeared to be really difficult three weeks after their last league match as they struggled to make headway on a blameless pitch.
Paul Leary showed remarkable patience as he batted for most of the innings for his 16 as wickets tumbled at the other end.
Rory Harper (17) was the only other batsman to achieve double figures, though brother Bonham held out for an important nine not out seeing out the overs and ensuring a score of over 100 was achieved as Royston finally scraped their way to 116.
The Royston team faired much better when fielding as Nick Hootton (9-2-24-3) and Neil Addison (6-0-16-1) had Newton in trouble right from the start.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 7 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 8 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 9 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 10 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
Swindell (13) and Esterhuizen (12) fought back but the introduction of Dave Isherwood proved decisive as he bowled Swindell and had top scorer Aspinall (30) caught behind by Rory Harper as, despite having three catches dropped at first slip, he managed to return 10-4-18-3.
C Keyworth (19) tried to battle through but wily spinner Max McClean cleaned him up as Newton finally finished on 98 all out.