Youngsters get taste of sports centre action
YOUNGSTERS from in and around Melbourn have been busy trying their hand at various sports as Melbourn Sports Centre opened its doors for its annual summer sports programme. Eighty youngsters joined the centre s qualified coaches for a week-long sporting
YOUNGSTERS from in and around Melbourn have been busy trying their hand at various sports as Melbourn Sports Centre opened its doors for its annual summer sports programme.
Eighty youngsters joined the centre's qualified coaches for a week-long sporting initiative that included football, tennis, basketball, netball, athletics, hockey, trampolining and cricket.
Duty manager Graham Johnson-Mack said: "Every summer we run weekly sport and activity programmes. It's something the children in the area are very keen on, and every year it's a success.
"The aim is to keep the youngsters active over the summer and give them the opportunity to try different sports and make new friends.
You may also want to watch:
"Again, it's been really well received, and everyone involved is looking forward to the next ones.
"The first week went well, and we were very fortunate with the weather.
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
"And hopefully it gave the children an insight into a variety of sports, and as a result, some may now go on to join clubs." Melbourn Sports Centre will be holding two more weekly programmes, which run from Monday, August 11-Friday, August 15 and Monday, August 18-Friday, August 21.
For more information and details call 01763 263313.