Youngsters get taste of sports centre action
YOUNGSTERS from in and around Melbourn have been busy trying their hand at various sports as Melbourn Sports Centre opened its doors for its annual summer sports programme. Eighty youngsters joined the centre s qualified coaches for a week-long sporting
YOUNGSTERS from in and around Melbourn have been busy trying their hand at various sports as Melbourn Sports Centre opened its doors for its annual summer sports programme.
Eighty youngsters joined the centre's qualified coaches for a week-long sporting initiative that included football, tennis, basketball, netball, athletics, hockey, trampolining and cricket.
Duty manager Graham Johnson-Mack said: "Every summer we run weekly sport and activity programmes. It's something the children in the area are very keen on, and every year it's a success.
"The aim is to keep the youngsters active over the summer and give them the opportunity to try different sports and make new friends.
"Again, it's been really well received, and everyone involved is looking forward to the next ones.
"The first week went well, and we were very fortunate with the weather.
- 1 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 4 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 5 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 8 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 9 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 10 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
"And hopefully it gave the children an insight into a variety of sports, and as a result, some may now go on to join clubs." Melbourn Sports Centre will be holding two more weekly programmes, which run from Monday, August 11-Friday, August 15 and Monday, August 18-Friday, August 21.
For more information and details call 01763 263313.