Youngsters get taste of sports centre action
YOUNGSTERS from in and around Melbourn have been busy trying their hand at various sports as Melbourn Sports Centre opened its doors for its annual summer sports programme. Eighty youngsters joined the centre s qualified coaches for a week-long sporting
YOUNGSTERS from in and around Melbourn have been busy trying their hand at various sports as Melbourn Sports Centre opened its doors for its annual summer sports programme.
Eighty youngsters joined the centre's qualified coaches for a week-long sporting initiative that included football, tennis, basketball, netball, athletics, hockey, trampolining and cricket.
Duty manager Graham Johnson-Mack said: "Every summer we run weekly sport and activity programmes. It's something the children in the area are very keen on, and every year it's a success.
"The aim is to keep the youngsters active over the summer and give them the opportunity to try different sports and make new friends.
"Again, it's been really well received, and everyone involved is looking forward to the next ones.
"The first week went well, and we were very fortunate with the weather.
- 1 School to make 'wide-ranging changes' following Ofsted inspection
- 2 Fowlmere residents voice objections to housing development
- 3 Kite Festival set to return to Royston next month
- 4 Citizens Advice: What to do if you have issues with delayed or cancelled flights
- 5 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 6 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 7 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 8 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 9 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 10 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
"And hopefully it gave the children an insight into a variety of sports, and as a result, some may now go on to join clubs." Melbourn Sports Centre will be holding two more weekly programmes, which run from Monday, August 11-Friday, August 15 and Monday, August 18-Friday, August 21.
For more information and details call 01763 263313.