Youngsters get taste of sports centre action
YOUNGSTERS from in and around Melbourn have been busy trying their hand at various sports as Melbourn Sports Centre opened its doors for its annual summer sports programme. Eighty youngsters joined the centre s qualified coaches for a week-long sporting
YOUNGSTERS from in and around Melbourn have been busy trying their hand at various sports as Melbourn Sports Centre opened its doors for its annual summer sports programme.
Eighty youngsters joined the centre's qualified coaches for a week-long sporting initiative that included football, tennis, basketball, netball, athletics, hockey, trampolining and cricket.
Duty manager Graham Johnson-Mack said: "Every summer we run weekly sport and activity programmes. It's something the children in the area are very keen on, and every year it's a success.
"The aim is to keep the youngsters active over the summer and give them the opportunity to try different sports and make new friends.
You may also want to watch:
"Again, it's been really well received, and everyone involved is looking forward to the next ones.
"The first week went well, and we were very fortunate with the weather.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 5 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 8 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 9 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 10 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
"And hopefully it gave the children an insight into a variety of sports, and as a result, some may now go on to join clubs." Melbourn Sports Centre will be holding two more weekly programmes, which run from Monday, August 11-Friday, August 15 and Monday, August 18-Friday, August 21.
For more information and details call 01763 263313.