Youngster earns club member of the year award
MATT Coppen has been named Royston Bowls Club member of the year. The 16-year-old was given the Frank Blunden Memorial Award by club president Colin Wilson as a reward for another successful year of bowls. Coppen became the British Isles Junior Singles
MATT Coppen has been named Royston Bowls Club member of the year.
The 16-year-old was given the Frank Blunden Memorial Award by club president Colin Wilson as a reward for another successful year of bowls.
Coppen became the British Isles Junior Singles Champion, the County Under-30 Singles Champion and the County Under-25 Singles Champion.
He also reached the third round of the EBA Under-25 Singles Championship.
You may also want to watch:
The event which also featured other awards for the winners and runners-up of the club competitions raised £50 for The British Heart Foundation.
The club concluded its summer season with a President versus Vice President game.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 5 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
With four rinks of fours and three rinks of triples, it was a highly competitive match.
President Colin Wilson had stated that he wanted a win to complete a run of success, but even with Coppen in his team, he was heavily beaten by Eunice Dockree's team by 31 shots.
It has been a successful 80th year for the club, with a number of members reaching semi finals and finals of county and Letchworth and District competitions.
They also reached the semi final of the McMullen trophy, and Captain of the Year Will Martin reached the semi final of the Letchworth and District Officers Singles competition.
-MELBOURN Bowls Club held its final event of the year on Saturday.
Fourteen club pairs entered the all day Anniversary Pairs competition for an end-of-season showdown.
Mother and son Jacqui and Robert Dodds emerged as eventual winners, and over 24 ends beat Keith Howard and John Gibson in the final to bring a successful club season to a close.