Witham leave it late to deny Royston a win
Royston Men 1 Witham 1 ROYSTON came away with a point from their NE14 Hockey Division 2S fixture against Witham. For long period the game was a midfield battle which eventually saw the hosts take the lead with a goal by Owen Russell. Witham pushed for an
Royston Men 1 Witham 1
ROYSTON came away with a point from their NE14 Hockey Division 2S fixture against Witham.
For long period the game was a midfield battle which eventually saw the hosts take the lead with a goal by Owen Russell.
Witham pushed for an equaliser but were left frustrated by the resilient Royston defence.
The visitors finally looked set to level the scores when they were rewarded a highly contentious penalty, only to see it saved by Chris Markham but after a long period of battling between the two sides the Witham struck from a short corner late in the day.
Royston II 3 Winchmore Hill & Enfield II 0
- 1 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 2 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 3 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 4 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 5 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 8 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 9 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 10 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
LEAGUE leaders WH & Enfield played fourth place Royston II, and were beaten into submission.
Royston had the upper hand early on and good work by Darren Hicks led to the first goal scored by Nick Freeman.
The new 3-5-2 formation paid dividends as in the second half goals from Mark Jacobs and Nick Broadley put their opponents to the sword.
Royston III 3Luton III 2
PAUL Visagie opened the scoring for Royston when he flicked a short corner high into the net before Luton equalised soon afterwards when a player found space in the circle to hook a shot in off the post.
Visagie then set up Tim Yow only to see his teammate brought down, and Visagie scored from the resulting penalty stroke.
Dan Clifford extended the lead when he caught the 'keeper out of position with a smartly driven shot into the far corner, and although Luton scored towards the end they were unable to get an equaliser and Royston leapfrogged their opponents out of the Division 6SW relegation zone.
Royston IV 3 MBDA 0
HOPING to follow up last week's win with another this week, Royston's fourth team ran out 3-0 victors.
After nearly conceding a goal from the first push back Royston rode their luck in the first half and went into half time 0-0.
In the second half they were the better of the teams with Paul Bloomfield's hat-trick sealing the comfortable win.
Royston V 1 Cheshunt III 6
ROYSTON'S youth development side was in this game until the half time break with a goal from Toby Hall making it 1-1 at the interval.
However Cheshunt significantly strengthened their midfield for the second half and their changes paid dividends.