Witham leave it late to deny Royston a win
Royston Men 1 Witham 1 ROYSTON came away with a point from their NE14 Hockey Division 2S fixture against Witham. For long period the game was a midfield battle which eventually saw the hosts take the lead with a goal by Owen Russell. Witham pushed for an
Royston Men 1 Witham 1
ROYSTON came away with a point from their NE14 Hockey Division 2S fixture against Witham.
For long period the game was a midfield battle which eventually saw the hosts take the lead with a goal by Owen Russell.
Witham pushed for an equaliser but were left frustrated by the resilient Royston defence.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors finally looked set to level the scores when they were rewarded a highly contentious penalty, only to see it saved by Chris Markham but after a long period of battling between the two sides the Witham struck from a short corner late in the day.
Royston II 3 Winchmore Hill & Enfield II 0
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 4 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
LEAGUE leaders WH & Enfield played fourth place Royston II, and were beaten into submission.
Royston had the upper hand early on and good work by Darren Hicks led to the first goal scored by Nick Freeman.
The new 3-5-2 formation paid dividends as in the second half goals from Mark Jacobs and Nick Broadley put their opponents to the sword.
Royston III 3Luton III 2
PAUL Visagie opened the scoring for Royston when he flicked a short corner high into the net before Luton equalised soon afterwards when a player found space in the circle to hook a shot in off the post.
Visagie then set up Tim Yow only to see his teammate brought down, and Visagie scored from the resulting penalty stroke.
Dan Clifford extended the lead when he caught the 'keeper out of position with a smartly driven shot into the far corner, and although Luton scored towards the end they were unable to get an equaliser and Royston leapfrogged their opponents out of the Division 6SW relegation zone.
Royston IV 3 MBDA 0
HOPING to follow up last week's win with another this week, Royston's fourth team ran out 3-0 victors.
After nearly conceding a goal from the first push back Royston rode their luck in the first half and went into half time 0-0.
In the second half they were the better of the teams with Paul Bloomfield's hat-trick sealing the comfortable win.
Royston V 1 Cheshunt III 6
ROYSTON'S youth development side was in this game until the half time break with a goal from Toby Hall making it 1-1 at the interval.
However Cheshunt significantly strengthened their midfield for the second half and their changes paid dividends.