Winning start for Royston as they shut out Wellingborough
- Credit: Archant
Royston Rugby Club’s ladies got their new season off to a flying start with a 29-0 win over Wellingborough.
The Northamptonshire side had been relegated last season but Royston were still steeling themselves for a tough game in Women's NC South East (North).
And they started in dogged and unrelenting fashion from the get go, driven by skipper McGillivray's vocal direction.
Their first try came midway in the half with Devereux breaking through and Fletcher adding the first of two conversions.
She scored try number two before the break and refreshed by a stirring team talk Royston returned to the field and dominated their visitors with fast-paced and clinically-executed rugby.
You may also want to watch:
Further tries followed, one more from Fletcher and two for Mather, to close out a fine day's work.
Royston's next game takes place on Sunday when they head to Buckinghamshire to take on Risborough.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims