Wingers key to win
Sawston Rovers 1 Fowlmere 4 Fowlmere moved up to second the league with an impressive away victory at mid-table Sawston. Steve Walker made a couple of changes following last week s cup defeat at the hands of local rivals Melbourn by bringing in Robert Cri
Sawston Rovers 1 Fowlmere 4
Fowlmere moved up to second the league with an impressive away victory at mid-table Sawston.
Steve Walker made a couple of changes following last week's cup defeat at the hands of local rivals Melbourn by bringing in Robert Cripps at left back and moving Carl Darcy into midfield, and his team started off brightly.
Fowlmere's wide play was particularly impressive and their wingers made the most of Sawston's 3-5-2 formation by attacking the gaps and forcing their opponent's wing backs to retreat.
The promising start soon paid off when on 15 minutes Carl Frostick picked up a Dan Caley pass and shot across the keeper into the bottom corner.
On the half hour Fowlmere had the opportunity to make it 2-0 when Shaun Audley drove himself into the Sawston box only to be brought down.
- 1 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
Darcy, who never seems to miss spot kicks, duly stepped forward to put the ball away.
Just before half time Audley scored a header to cap off an impressive first half performance and send his team in 3-0.
Despite their dominance Fowlmere were given a shock five minutes after the break when Sawston were able to pull a goal back.
But another strong 40 minutes, complete with a Dan Caley strike, finished Sawston off and sent Fowlmere home 4-1 victors.
Steve Walker, whose team are now just three points behind Duxford United with two games in hand, said: "We're pleased to more into second in the table, and we're still unbeaten in the league.
"We're pleased to have beaten Sawston. They're a mid-league team and these games can normally go either way.
"I'm especially happy with the energy my players give and from my wide players who seem to score goals almost every game."
Team: Harben, Kew, Ridings, Poole (c), Cripps, Darcy, Ruggles, Frostick, Audley, Mizon, Caley. Bench: King, Carver, Walker