Wingers key to win
Sawston Rovers 1 Fowlmere 4 Fowlmere moved up to second the league with an impressive away victory at mid-table Sawston. Steve Walker made a couple of changes following last week s cup defeat at the hands of local rivals Melbourn by bringing in Robert Cri
Sawston Rovers 1 Fowlmere 4
Fowlmere moved up to second the league with an impressive away victory at mid-table Sawston.
Steve Walker made a couple of changes following last week's cup defeat at the hands of local rivals Melbourn by bringing in Robert Cripps at left back and moving Carl Darcy into midfield, and his team started off brightly.
Fowlmere's wide play was particularly impressive and their wingers made the most of Sawston's 3-5-2 formation by attacking the gaps and forcing their opponent's wing backs to retreat.
You may also want to watch:
The promising start soon paid off when on 15 minutes Carl Frostick picked up a Dan Caley pass and shot across the keeper into the bottom corner.
On the half hour Fowlmere had the opportunity to make it 2-0 when Shaun Audley drove himself into the Sawston box only to be brought down.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Royston Arts Festival committee overcomes COVID difficulties to bring back events
- 3 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 4 Get on your bike for the A10 Awareness Ride comeback
- 5 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 6 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 7 Barkway Lit Fest proves to be a real page-turner
- 8 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 9 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 10 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
Darcy, who never seems to miss spot kicks, duly stepped forward to put the ball away.
Just before half time Audley scored a header to cap off an impressive first half performance and send his team in 3-0.
Despite their dominance Fowlmere were given a shock five minutes after the break when Sawston were able to pull a goal back.
But another strong 40 minutes, complete with a Dan Caley strike, finished Sawston off and sent Fowlmere home 4-1 victors.
Steve Walker, whose team are now just three points behind Duxford United with two games in hand, said: "We're pleased to more into second in the table, and we're still unbeaten in the league.
"We're pleased to have beaten Sawston. They're a mid-league team and these games can normally go either way.
"I'm especially happy with the energy my players give and from my wide players who seem to score goals almost every game."
Team: Harben, Kew, Ridings, Poole (c), Cripps, Darcy, Ruggles, Frostick, Audley, Mizon, Caley. Bench: King, Carver, Walker