Win is well worth a Little waiting
Lode Res 3 Steeple Morden Res 4 Steeple Morden started the new year with a hard fought victory over bottom side Lode Reserves. The first twenty minutes of the game was an open affair with several chances spurned by both teams. And it took a great piece
Lode Res 3
Steeple Morden Res 4
Steeple Morden started the new year with a hard fought victory over bottom side Lode Reserves.
The first twenty minutes of the game was an open affair with several chances spurned by both teams. And it took a great piece of individual skill to break the deadlock when Damian Pennell ran with the ball from the half-way line, skipping past four defenders and coolly placing the ball below the advancing keeper.
You may also want to watch:
However, Steeple held the lead for only 10 minutes with Lode grabbing an equalizer, and shortly after the hosts took the lead with a fine long range effort.
Steeple bounced back and restored parity minutes before half-time when Bob Dix finished from close range, after the Lode goalkeeper saved well from a James Bird effort.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 8 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
Following the break the visitors took the lead for a second time in the match after the Lode keeper fumbled the ball from a free-kick with Paul Geraghty on hand to stroke the ball home.
But Lode were by no means finished and they drew level with an audacious half volley from distance leaving Steeple keeper Brian Sarll with no chance.
However, Steeple Morden's winner came moments later when, substitute Steve Little broke through the offside trap. And after his initial save was blocked, Little showed the tenacity to bag the rebound and his first goal of the season.
Steeple Morden: Sarll; Smith, Morris, Robson, Jarman; Dix, Gates, Carlton, Geraghty; Bird, Pennell. (Subs): Little, Orchard, Thorp.