Win is well worth a Little waiting
Lode Res 3 Steeple Morden Res 4 Steeple Morden started the new year with a hard fought victory over bottom side Lode Reserves. The first twenty minutes of the game was an open affair with several chances spurned by both teams. And it took a great piece
Lode Res 3
Steeple Morden Res 4
Steeple Morden started the new year with a hard fought victory over bottom side Lode Reserves.
The first twenty minutes of the game was an open affair with several chances spurned by both teams. And it took a great piece of individual skill to break the deadlock when Damian Pennell ran with the ball from the half-way line, skipping past four defenders and coolly placing the ball below the advancing keeper.
However, Steeple held the lead for only 10 minutes with Lode grabbing an equalizer, and shortly after the hosts took the lead with a fine long range effort.
Steeple bounced back and restored parity minutes before half-time when Bob Dix finished from close range, after the Lode goalkeeper saved well from a James Bird effort.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 10 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
Following the break the visitors took the lead for a second time in the match after the Lode keeper fumbled the ball from a free-kick with Paul Geraghty on hand to stroke the ball home.
But Lode were by no means finished and they drew level with an audacious half volley from distance leaving Steeple keeper Brian Sarll with no chance.
However, Steeple Morden's winner came moments later when, substitute Steve Little broke through the offside trap. And after his initial save was blocked, Little showed the tenacity to bag the rebound and his first goal of the season.
Steeple Morden: Sarll; Smith, Morris, Robson, Jarman; Dix, Gates, Carlton, Geraghty; Bird, Pennell. (Subs): Little, Orchard, Thorp.