Will power keeps Attfield’s men top

Buntingford Town 3 Hertford Heath 2 WILL Turl s hat-trick sealed Town s 16th league win of the season and kept their championship charge going on Monday. The game was played at a high, competitive tempo from start to finish with great entertainment from b

Buntingford Town 3 Hertford Heath 2

WILL Turl's hat-trick sealed Town's 16th league win of the season and kept their championship charge going on Monday.

The game was played at a high, competitive tempo from start to finish with great entertainment from both teams as Heath especially at times belied their mid-table league position.

The opening period was so fast and furious that neither team could get good enough or long enough possession to create, as on the defensive both sides worked hard to thwart quick advances with good shut down play.

The hosts gradually exerted some good pressure as they began to become more composed on the ball and had their first clear opening on 14 minutes when Phil Fisher volleyed over from 10 yards from a Tom Malins knock down.

More pressure and some good team build up play gave Town a number of corners midway through the half and after some good deliveries from both sides it was from one in the 27th minute that Town took the lead.

Most Read

Turl met Craig Joy's fine delivery and being unmarked from eight yards had the simple task of heading past the keeper.

The lead was doubled with Town's next attack just two minutes later when a long clearance eluded Fisher and a visiting defender with Turl timing his run to perfection and beating the keeper to the bouncing ball to lob into the empty net.

Heath continued to battle well, and created a great chance just before half-time when Phil Davies broke the offside trap, but was kept out by a fine diving block at his feet by Damion Williamson.

The break did not really help Town that much as they had played so well in the first half and it was the visitors who started the half better and reduced the arrears early on in the 50th minute.

Davies cut in from the right touch line and hit a powerful 20 yard half volley high into the far left corner.

The game then really opened up into a brisk end to end affair as both teams slightly tired due to its intensity, although both looked like adding to their tally.

Will Turl who was a threat all afternoon met a Lewis Endacott cross with a fine header in the 61st minute but the keeper somehow dived full stretch to tip the ball onto the post.

Williamson made another fine one on one close range block from a visiting player in the 72nd minute and at the other end a looping Chris Hardy header from another set play beat the keeper but was comfortably headed off the line by a well positioned defender.

Heath got their equaliser in the 81st minute when a hopeful ball into the box hit Jamie Babbage high on the shoulder with referee Pateman deeming it to be handball despite no appeals from the visiting side, and Davies sent Williamson the wrong way from the resulting spot kick.

The character shown by Town though was impressive and they got their reward late on when a fine move in Heath's defensive third, saw a good move involving Liam Beaumont, Ricky Young and Tom Malins set up the chance for Turl and his 12 yard deflected effort finally beat the otherwise excellent keeper to give Town the victory.

Manager Paul Attfield was delighted with the result. "We were really impressive today, I felt, in what was the best game of football I have seen us involved in this season," he said.

"Considering this was our third game in six days, the players gave exemplary effort and because of that fact alone deserved their win."

Town: D Williamson, L Endacott (J Hollingsworth), D Chaffey, D Cain, J Babbage, M Smith, C Hardy, T Malins, W Turl, P Fisher (R Young), C Joy (L Beaumont). Unused subs: Jamie Morriss, Gary Christie

- Buntingford host basement side Elliott Star on Saturday before travelling to mid-table Sandridge Rovers on Tuesday.