Wilbrahams beaten by “impossible” task as Royston collect sixth straight Junior One South victory

Martin Leary made 55 in Royston's sixth straight Junior One South victory of the season

Martin Leary made 55 in Royston's sixth straight Junior One South victory of the season - Credit: Archant

Paul Harris says Royston gave visiting Wilbrahams too much of a mountain to climb on Saturday as the pacesetting Crows retained their 100 per cent winning start to the league campaign.

Wilbrahams, who had lost just once in the league before the clash, won the toss but put in Royston to bat and following Paul Leary’s unbeaten ton and Martin Leary’s half-century were left to rue that decision.

George Moore was the star for the away side with 50 to keep his team’s faint hopes alive but with the final five wickets going for just six runs, they never looked capable of destroying Royston’s unbeaten record.

Captain Harris said: “The way we batted was absolutely outstanding, particularly Paul and Martin Leary’s efforts, and to set a total of over 250 at Therfield is always going to be nigh on impossible to chase down.

“Again, it was a team performance and everyone played a part in a great win.”

Harris was finding the middle of his bat with regularity before finally skying one to be dismissed for an entertaining 33 from 23 balls.

Paul Leary continued to score freely, so when Miller offered a catch to mid-wicket off the bowling of Luke Gouldstone just after drinks, Royston were still in a strong position with the score on 126-3.

Most Read

Martin Leary joined his brother and the pair began to make headway, proceeding to notch up an 89-run partnership for the fourth wicket, Martin Leary leading the way with 55 from 35 balls before being caught in the deep with the score on 215-4 with still six overs remaining.

Meanwhile, Paul Leary had passed his half-century and looked well set for a hundred and to carry his bat.

Unsurprisingly, Royston’s in-form man did just that and saw Royston through to 262-7, carrying his bat for a superb 106* from 105 balls.

With such a big total on the board the run-rate was always going to add extra to the Wilbrahams innings, and the pressure told as early wickets of David Brown and Matthew Morley, both dismissed by opener Pete Merrell, left Wilbrahams at 18-2.

Toby Tippen and Moore began to rebuild and for a while kept Wilbrahams very much still in the hunt, the pair putting on 50 before Tippen drove to cover to be caught for 30.

Tom Sweeney joined Moore and another half-century partnership ensued, with Moore acting as the main protagonist before finally falling to the bowling of Rohan Shetge for a well-made 50, the score at 130-4.

After Moore’s departure, the run-chase became too much and Wilbrahams subsided to 162 all out thanks to excellent bowling from Phil Hall (10-2-31-2), which allowed Kindred (8-1-26-3) to clean up the tail to give the Crows a 100-run win.

Next Saturday sees Royston travel away to Linton.