Whittlesford and Great Chishill kick off 2008 with a lively contest
Whittlesford Res 2 Great Chishill 0 WHITTLESFORD and Great Chishill kicked off 2008 with a lively contest, which the hosts edged thanks to their efficiency in front of goal – something Chishill were again lacking. In a fast paced game from the off, Whit
Whittlesford Res 2 Great Chishill 0
WHITTLESFORD and Great Chishill kicked off 2008 with a lively contest, which the hosts edged thanks to their efficiency in front of goal - something Chishill were again lacking.
In a fast paced game from the off, Whittlesford got their noses in front with a well-taken header after 15 minutes following a corner. And the visitors had Ian Gallagher to thank for not falling further behind when he saved a penalty after Jamie Dunsden's handball.
And although Chishill saw a lot of the ball, they were unable to break through the home side's solid defence and rarely tested their keeper.
You may also want to watch:
In the second half, Chishill were given a moment of hope when the ball broke to Tom Hodge in the Whittlesford area, but his shot was well blocked by one of the hosts' defenders.
At the other end, James Bennett bravely headed a swerving cross over his own crossbar as the home side began to turn the screw.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 6 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 7 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 10 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
But Chishill continued to search for an equaliser, with Jay Wiltshire's volley dipping just over from 20 yards, before Bennett came close with his own strike on goal.
However, as the visitors pressed forward, the home side punished them on the break and secured the win with another well-taken finish just before the whistle.
Great Chishill: Gallagher; R Drury, Dunsden, Bennett, Gardiner; Butler, E Drury, J Hodge, Radford; T Hodge, J Drury. (Subs): Wiltshire, Lindsay.