Whittlesford and Great Chishill kick off 2008 with a lively contest
Whittlesford Res 2 Great Chishill 0 WHITTLESFORD and Great Chishill kicked off 2008 with a lively contest, which the hosts edged thanks to their efficiency in front of goal – something Chishill were again lacking. In a fast paced game from the off, Whit
Whittlesford Res 2 Great Chishill 0
WHITTLESFORD and Great Chishill kicked off 2008 with a lively contest, which the hosts edged thanks to their efficiency in front of goal - something Chishill were again lacking.
In a fast paced game from the off, Whittlesford got their noses in front with a well-taken header after 15 minutes following a corner. And the visitors had Ian Gallagher to thank for not falling further behind when he saved a penalty after Jamie Dunsden's handball.
And although Chishill saw a lot of the ball, they were unable to break through the home side's solid defence and rarely tested their keeper.
In the second half, Chishill were given a moment of hope when the ball broke to Tom Hodge in the Whittlesford area, but his shot was well blocked by one of the hosts' defenders.
At the other end, James Bennett bravely headed a swerving cross over his own crossbar as the home side began to turn the screw.
- 1 Street Food Heroes return to Royston
- 2 Last-ball victory keeps Reed on the rise up the Championship
- 3 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 4 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
- 5 A-level results 2022: When is results day and what can I expect?
- 6 Grandad celebrates 18th sailing championship win
- 7 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 8 Royston struggle to add second win to opening day success
- 9 Vintage tractor run to raise money for churches
- 10 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
But Chishill continued to search for an equaliser, with Jay Wiltshire's volley dipping just over from 20 yards, before Bennett came close with his own strike on goal.
However, as the visitors pressed forward, the home side punished them on the break and secured the win with another well-taken finish just before the whistle.
Great Chishill: Gallagher; R Drury, Dunsden, Bennett, Gardiner; Butler, E Drury, J Hodge, Radford; T Hodge, J Drury. (Subs): Wiltshire, Lindsay.