Whites unable to find the equaliser
Buntingford Cougars Blues 2 Royston Celtic Whites 1 Under-12s Division One ROYSTON Celtic lost their first game of the season away to Buntingford. The visitors began well and should have scored in the first few minutes when James Rushton played a nice bal
Buntingford Cougars Blues 2 Royston Celtic Whites 1
Under-12s Division One
ROYSTON Celtic lost their first game of the season away to Buntingford.
The visitors began well and should have scored in the first few minutes when James Rushton played a nice ball through to Justin Leavers, but although the attacker's pace and strength got him through to the 'keeper his show went over the bar.
The Cougars had two shots on target in the first half and one hit the back of the net to give them the lead.
The Cougars increased their lead in the second half through an own goal, but in response Royston stepped up their game with Richard Jonas, Ben Webb, George Bailey and Rushton dong their best to play some attractive football.
- 1 Street Food Heroes return to Royston
- 2 Last-ball victory keeps Reed on the rise up the Championship
- 3 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 4 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
- 5 A-level results 2022: When is results day and what can I expect?
- 6 Grandad celebrates 18th sailing championship win
- 7 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 8 Royston struggle to add second win to opening day success
- 9 Vintage tractor run to raise money for churches
- 10 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
Rhys Westbury worked hard and had chance saved on the line while Callum Pinner and Jack Mills, with Lorcan George and Henderson, worked hard at the back as did Tom McGlynn and Eward Atkins when they came on.
The Cougars did have one more attack and managed to get a penalty but Robbie Ponting stood tall in the Celtic goal and pushed the ball over the bar.
Leavers was a constant threat up front and pulled a goal back for Celtic, but it wasn't to be and they left unable to find the equaliser.
Royston: Ponting, Westbury, Mills, Pinner, Leavers, Henderson, George, Jonas, Bailey, Webb, Rushton, Atkins, McGlynn.