Whites beat Stotfold after paying respect to the casualties of war
Royston Celtic Whites 4 Stotfold Juniors 0 Under-12s Sainsbury Cup Second Round BOTH sets of players paid their respects to our war heroes with a moment s silence before this tie on Sunday. When the match began the Whites carried on from where they had le
Royston Celtic Whites 4 Stotfold Juniors 0
Under-12s Sainsbury Cup Second Round
BOTH sets of players paid their respects to our war heroes with a moment's silence before this tie on Sunday.
When the match began the Whites carried on from where they had left off last week and had all of the early play.
You may also want to watch:
Stotfold had appeared to have done their homework and played just one up front which meant the midfield was stifled, but some firm tackling from Ben Webb and good skills from George Bailey was able to open them up.
Richard Jonas' vision played in Justin Leavers and Rhys Westbury time and again as Leavers' power and pace caused all sorts of problems for Stotfold.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
The scoreline remained 0-0 at the break, however, as the work by Callum Pinner, James Rushton, Tom McGlynn and Eamon Henderson kept their opponents at bay.
The Whites stepped up a level in the second half with Jack Mills entering the arena, and after some great team play Westbury put his side ahead.
Westbury then got his second following some good work by Bailey and sealed his hat-trick following a Jonas corner.
Stotfold tried hard but only had the one chance which Robbie Ponting was equal to, while Bailey finished off the scoring when he took the ball of Jonas and beat three or four players before slotting the ball home for a well served win.
Royston Celtic Whites: Ponting, Westbury, Mills, Pinner, Leavers, Henderson, Jonas, Bailey, Webb, Atkins, Rushton, McGlynn, Ryding.