Welwyn Garden City legend Joe Croft shines in pre-season friendly with Royston Town
- Credit: NEIL METCALFE
Joe Croft reminded Welwyn Garden City fans of his ability after a surprise inclusion in Nick Ironton's squad for a pre-season friendly with Royston Town.
The Cat as he is affectionately known by Citizens fans, has returned to the club in a coaching capacity but was pressed into action in the 1-1 draw at Herns Lane.
And he impressed with a string of fine saves.
Manager Ironton said: "He’s an absolutely top lad and when I heard he had left London Tigers I rang him straight away.
"We’ve gave him an opportunity to help coach the U23s and first-team squad but sometimes you need a number two goalkeeper.
"Charlie Crowley is my number one and we have Bully [Aaron Bull] in the U23s but Joe came in and did magnificent.
"It’s his first game in two years and as a back-up I couldn’t ask for anything better."
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
Youngster Harrison Cage had put Welwyn ahead from the penalty spot before Jonny Edwards equalised for the Crows in what was an entertaining encounter.
Ironton said: "I’m grateful for Steve [Castle] for bringing his side over and it was good exercise for both of us.
"I had a lot of new players to look at and give minutes to and there was some good football played."