Welwyn Garden City legend Joe Croft shines in pre-season friendly with Royston Town
- Credit: NEIL METCALFE
Joe Croft reminded Welwyn Garden City fans of his ability after a surprise inclusion in Nick Ironton's squad for a pre-season friendly with Royston Town.
The Cat as he is affectionately known by Citizens fans, has returned to the club in a coaching capacity but was pressed into action in the 1-1 draw at Herns Lane.
And he impressed with a string of fine saves.
Manager Ironton said: "He’s an absolutely top lad and when I heard he had left London Tigers I rang him straight away.
"We’ve gave him an opportunity to help coach the U23s and first-team squad but sometimes you need a number two goalkeeper.
"Charlie Crowley is my number one and we have Bully [Aaron Bull] in the U23s but Joe came in and did magnificent.
"It’s his first game in two years and as a back-up I couldn’t ask for anything better."
- 1 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 2 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 3 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 4 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 5 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 6 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 9 Church foodbank receives donation to help families in need
- 10 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
Youngster Harrison Cage had put Welwyn ahead from the penalty spot before Jonny Edwards equalised for the Crows in what was an entertaining encounter.
Ironton said: "I’m grateful for Steve [Castle] for bringing his side over and it was good exercise for both of us.
"I had a lot of new players to look at and give minutes to and there was some good football played."