Weekend football round-up

Click to read match reports from Saturday and Sunday

Lower Junior Cup

Melbourn 5

Great Chishill Res 2

MELBOURN progressed to the next round of the Lower Junior Cup with revenge for the previous week’s drubbing at the hands of their near neighbours.

Melbourn started brightly playing the better football but seemed to lack the cutting edge early on, but they took the lead midway through the half when a deep cross found Martin Lees at the far post who fired home.

Chishill equalised just before half-time, but Melbourn began the second half with vigour and restored the lead when Lees fired home his second from an Andrew Ridden cross.

Most Read

Minutes later and a deep Wright cross was met by Dan Taylor who leapt higher than the goalkeeper to head home.

The fourth goal saw the returning Andrew Gray play a sublime 40-yard pass into the path of Ian Burt who hit a stunning volley on the bounce over the keeper for the fourth.

Melbourn then allowed a sloppy counter-attack during which the away forward finished with a sublime chip over White.

Melbourn started to look nervous until Lees completed his hat-trick collecting at the far post from a corner and firing accurately home.

Melbourn hope to continue the winning feeling this Saturday at home to Papworth, where three points is a must to kick starting their league campaign.

Flying Pig maintained their unbeaten record with a 5-3 win over Rock in the C&D League Division 2B.

The pig lay claim for the fastest goal of the day, it took just 57 seconds for Michael Smith to score, but within 10 minutes Rock had drawn level direct from a free-kick 25 yards out.

The Pig struggled to hit the form they showed in recent weeks and the game became very scrappy, until five minutes before the break when Aaron Cierzo finished off a fine team move before Smith’s second gave them a two-goal cushion at the break.

There was more goals in this game to come, as the Rock scored their second of the day, but straight from the kick-off the Pig replied with another goal by Cierzo.

With the game drawing to the end, the Rock were awarded a penalty, which was dually smashed in to the corner to make it 4-3.

Some good chances fell to both sides, before Dale Clark sealed the win with a fine header from a Brett Hammond Cross.

Fowlmere Reserves produced a merciless display as they beat The Eagle on Saturday in NMC Division 3A.

Luke Riley scored the opening goal on 10 minutes after brilliantly controlling Paul Payne’s long pass. Dean King made it two with a fierce effort from 35 yards.

The second half saw Fowlmere totally dominate the game and striker Daniel Green scored twice in 10 minutes.

Vincenzo Spina then made it 5-0 when a speculative deep cross sailed straight in for a rare goal. Jamie mosey completed the rout driving home home from 18 yards following good work from Riley.

Royston Town Vets hit top form on Sunday at Garden Walk with a thumping 7-1 thrashing of old rivals Standon & Puckeridge.

As Peter Leete was unavailable Town gave a debut to Ant Anstead who impressed leading the line and chipping in with two well-taken goals. The pace and trickery of Nehat ‘Magic’ Kojak was a constant threat to the visitors’ defence and Mark Saggers rounded off a polished performance with a hat-trick.

The scoring was completed by Carlo Silenti with a tap-in from close range.