We won the cup!

UNDER-11 Bishop s Stortford Youth 4 Herts Rangers 4 aet (Herts Rangers win 3-1 on pes) A THRILLING game saw Rangers clinch the Sainsbury s Cup at Garden Walk. Alfie Prosser opened the scoring for Stortford, only to see Rangers Jamie Semark level the sco


Bishop's Stortford Youth 4

Herts Rangers 4 aet

(Herts Rangers win 3-1 on pes)

A THRILLING game saw Rangers clinch the Sainsbury's Cup at Garden Walk.

Alfie Prosser opened the scoring for Stortford, only to see Rangers' Jamie Semark level the score.

Most Read

Two goals from Christopher Gibbs put Stortford in the driving seat, and although Semark reduced the arrears, a Jacob Ryan strike looked to have wrapped things up for Stortford.

Rangers refused to lie down, however, and substitute Gregor Noblett reduced the arrears before a sublime free-kick from Nathan Smith sent the game into extra-time.

Stortford noticeably tired during the extra period, but the deadlock remained, before three penalty saves from Jack Hollis gave Rangers the cup.


Baldock Town Templars 0

Letchworth GCE Blues 1

LEWIS Coleman's goal midway through the second half was enough to give Letchworth victory in a tight final at Garden Walk.

Eagles went into the game as clear favourites, boasting an unbeaten record stretching back three years, but they were made to fight all the way by a battling Baldock team.

The league champions were straight out the blocks and rained in on the Baldock goal with relentless pressure from the word go.

Early chances fell to the imposing Reece Lowden who threatened throughout with his clever ball work and movement that led to a number of early chances.

The deadlock was broken 15 minutes into the second half when Coleman finally unlocked Baldock's determined defence with a calm strike inside of the box to give Eagles the cup.


Stevenage Borough Blues 1

Baldock Town Knights 2 (aet)

KNIGHTS fought back from a goal down to lift the cup in a pulsating final.

Stevenage's Michael Humphrey opened the scoring when picked up the loose ball on the edge of the box and unleashed a low unstoppable shot past James Gilbert in the Baldock goal.

This setback seemed to spur Knights and their pressure finally paid off midway through the second half when Jake Linsday Smith shrugged off his marker just inside the Stevenage half and coolly slotted past the onrushing keeper.

With time running out and with penalties looming, Baldock broke again when Hogg picked up the ball just inside his own half and forced himself to the edge of the box where he smashed his shot over the stranded keeper and into the roof of the net to give his side a hard earned victory.


Letchworth GCE Reds 3

Wymondley Park 1 (aet)

TWO goals in the second half of extra-time sealed the Johnson Matthey Cup for Letchworth in a battle of the top two sides in the league.

William Ross gave Reds and early lead, but Park levelled the score three minutes before the break when a cross from the right was met by the head of Ashley Fitton for a well-worked goal.

Letchworth regained the lead four minutes into the second period of extra time with an when Rowan Hedley sent a screaming 20-yard shot from outside the box into the roof of the net, and Michael Payne sealed the victory when he powered down the left and slid the ball into the far corner.


Bedwell Rangers 1

Letchworth GCE Yellows 4

A THOMAS Edwards goal after just 31 seconds set Letchworth on the way to a comfortable victory in the Snow Cup.

Bedwell had won both of the league games between the sides, but after Edwards had headed home a long free-kick, Letchworth never looked back.

They doubled the lead in the fifth minute when the impressive Alexander Swinson slotted home from 12 yards after Rangers had failed to clear the ball.

Within five minutes it was 3-0 when Oliver Manning hooked past David O'Brien in the Bedwell goal following a corner.

The victory was effectively wrapped up in the 24th minute when Swinson burst through the defence and held off a defender before slotting under the advancing O'Brien.

An improved second half saw Jonathon Nash reduce the arrears, but proved to be only a consolation for the Stevenage side.


Bedwell Rangers Reds 2

Hitchin Town 2

(aet, Bedwell won on 5-4 pens)

BEDWELL overturned the form-book to win the first Crow League Cup final of the season.

Hitchin took the lead on the half hour mark as Scott Orphanou netted from close range, but two minutes later Chris Wetherall levelled with a good finish.

Three minutes before the break, Sam Harwood put Bedwell 2-1 up with a superb effort but again the lead was short-lived as Hitchin drew level just before the break when Orphanou was on hand to volley home for his second of the game.

Bedwell were forced to defend in depth before the game was decided by a penalty shoot-out.

Dunthorne made a good save from Hitchin's second kick, and Bedwell scored through Sam Harwood, John Chitondo, Richard Falder and Liam Castle.

It was left to Luke Elmes as the last taker to coolly slot home to spark the Bedwell celebrations at a shock win.


Austen Arrowheads 1

Potton Colts 2

COLTS gained revenge for losing the league title to Arrowheads to win the Rutter Cup at Garden Walk.

The Stevenage side had won the title on the final day of the season by beating Colts, but the Bedfordshire side gave manager Graham Barham a perfect birthday present by lifting the trophy.

After an even first half it was Austen who took the lead when a forward went around the Potton defence and planted the ball past the wrong footed Duff.

A close range effort from Stevie English levelled the score, and the winning goal came when Nick Cooper's corner swung in and James Cooper came up from the back to head in the winner.