“We got out of jail” claims Royston Town boss after late Leighton victory

Scott Bridges in action for Royston

Scott Bridges in action for Royston - Credit: Archant

Having suffered a patchy month of results in league and cup, Steve Castle was relieved his side “got out of jail” with a late victory at second-bottom Leighton Town on Saturday.

Skipper Scott Bridges put the Crows one goal to the good just before the half-hour, smashing a sublime free-kick beyond the helpless Leighton stopper.

A goal of similar quality brought the sides level on 53 minutes as Ben Gallant unleashed a 25-yard strike that flew majestically into the top corner of Ron Yates’ net, the hosts’ first goal in five games.

With time fizzling away defender Liam McDevitt was the most alert to nod home following Daniel Braithwaite’s blocked shot and clinch a massive three points.

Speaking on the club’s official website, Castle said: “We got out of jail via McDevitt’s strike towards the end of a scrappy game but we have no complaints.

“It wasn’t a great performance from us but at times the result is more important. The lads will play better but they all kept going and fair play to them for that.

“The season will not be all plain sailing week in week out. There will be matches like this where coming out of it with maximum points is the priority.

Most Read

“Hopefully the boys will keep believing and our results will get more positively predictable.

“The base is there so we just need to keep believing.”

The first half was all Royston Town with chance after chance created for the Crows to convert their highly motivated forward play into goals. Unfortunately on an extremely poor pitch, shared with a shade of misfortune, these hard-crafted chances could not nudge Town ahead until Bridges’ moment of brilliance, flashing a 20-yard free-kick past keeper Bradley Kirkwood.

Having dominated up to then, the game pattern was changed on 53 minutes as Leighton equalised.

Gallant’s unbelievable effort drew gasps of admiration from onlookers as it flew into the top corner.

Leighton were galvanised as they looked to steal a shock win and had two chances to take the lead, however Yates was on hand to block the first before the second was headed just wide.

At the other end, Erkan Okay hit the post from a yard out before McDevitt stepped up to nick the points for a relieved Royston.