Warner snatches points for Royston IIs
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON Men’s Is succumbed to a 3-2 defeat to Luton as again they were not helped by a lengthy injury list.
After going a goal down, Royston fought back well to go 2-1 ahead with goals from Nick Hurd and Owen Russell. Luton equalised just before half time before stealing victory late on.
The Men’s IIs edged a tense encounter with Harpenden IIs to win 1-0 and maintain their 100 per cent start to the season with three wins from three games.
Duncan Warner was the hero for Royston who also had a goal disallowed.
You may also want to watch:
The Men’s IIIs went down 4-0 to a strong Potters Bar team on a disappointing afternoon in which Royston were never really able to trouble their opponents throughout.
The Men’s IVs, or youth side, came from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Broxbourne Vs thanks to Andy Wilson’s strike five minutes from time.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
The draw means Royston are still unbeaten so far this season but it took a concerted effort to grind out a draw here.
Steve Gourd pulled the first goal back for Royston after being set up brilliantly by Man of the Match Oliver Stewart before Wilson’s strike ensured a share of the spoils.
The Ladies Is came back from 4-2 down to draw 4-4 with Tring on Saturday.
Royston found themselves 1-0 down early on after a sluggish start but through determination and teamwork they equalised following a short corner which Denise Underwood converted with a fantastic reverse stick-shot.
Tring piled on the pressure and took the lead again but Royston responded quickly and were awarded another short corner which was again put away by Underwood. Royston did go on to concede a third before half time before Tring looked to have wrapped things up just after the break with their fourth.
They would have fallen further behind if it wasn’t for the heroics of Player of the Match Mel Harding in the Royston goal.
Royston pulled a goal back through a deflection off Kirsty McKenzie before Chrisy Fayers rescued a point just before the end with a calm finish.
The Ladies IIs bounced back from last week’s defeat to overcome Letchworth IIIs 2-1.
Great work by Lucy Davidson setup Ali Carroll to fire home her fifth league goal of the season after only three matches before Lucy Davidson put Royston two goals to the good.
Letchworth pulled one back after an initial save by new ‘keeper Louise Wilkins was followed up but great play from Player of the Match Kate Nankivell ensure Royston held firm for the four points.
And finally, the ladies IIIs went down 3-2 to Saffron Walden Vs.
Caroline Yarrow and Harriett Johnson scored the goals for Royston but its wasn’t enough to avoid defeat.