Vital win for Crows

Kaan Fehmi scores two as Royston see off third-placed AFC Dunstable

Royston Town 2

AFC Dunstable 1

SSMFL Premier Division

ROYSTON TOWN further underlined their promotion credentials with a vital win against third-placed AFC Dunstable on Saturday.

Kaan Fehmi scored two second half goals to give Paul Attfield’s side the win after a Jack Bradshaw own goal had given Dunstable a first-half lead. They remain three points clear of second-placed Dunstable Town, who won 5-2 at home to lowly Holmer Green, and with five games to go the Crows really are in the driving seat for that solitary promotion spot.

Overall this was the proverbial game of two conflicting halves, with AFC Dunstable having much the better of the first and Royston delivering a superb second half performance to turn the game in their favour.

Most Read

The pace of the visiting forwards too frequently caught Royston’s defence napping but despite getting into a number of good situations Will Norris was not asked to make any saves of note. Dunstable missed a number of chances but it was left to a Royston player to show them how to put the ball in the net when Bradshaw turned the ball into his own net after a fierce low cross into the six-yard box.

Half-time came at a good time for Royston and it was just the tonic required as the same 11 were given the chance to redeem themselves and get control of the game. This they did with a much better free-flowing showing with better movement of the ball and more compact defending that saw them gradually control proceedings and create good chances.

It took only took 10 minutes to get back on level terms when a fine Lewis Endacott cross was met with an equally fine glancing header from Fehmi that gave the ‘keeper no chance from 10 yards.

The football became crisper and the AFC goal game under plenty of pressure. Fehmi raced into the area receiving a good through ball but was denied by the legs of the ‘keeper before a quick counter attack saw Fehmi play in Tom Malins but he shot inches wide.

However, the Crows continued to press and got their reward with 15 minutes remaining when Luke Robins lobbed the ball forward for Fehmi who got behind the AFC defence and lobbed the stranded ‘keeper from 30 yards to give his side the lead.

AFC reacted by throwing bodies forward, knocking long into the area but the home defence was up to the task and dealt with everything the visitors threw at them.

Dunstable will probably reflect on first half missed opportunities while Attfield’s side can rightly be proud of what they delivered in the second half to win this crucial game. Trips to relegation-threatened Holmer Green and Hanwell Town follow in the next seven days and are as equally important with just a handful of fixtures remaining.

Royston Town: Norris, Endacott, Bradshaw, McGrandles, Beck, Collins, Edwards, Malins (Young), Fehmi, Lockett (Matt Standen), Robins (Martin Stannden).