Vets win tough clash
Royston Town Vets 2 Sandy Vets 1 ROYSTON Town Vets completed their home fixtures for the season with a hard-earned 2-1 victory over old rivals Sandy Vets. With the pace of Kevin Barthrop and Nick Humphries stretching the visitors defence, chances started
Royston Town Vets 2 Sandy Vets 1
ROYSTON Town Vets completed their home fixtures for the season with a hard-earned 2-1 victory over old rivals Sandy Vets.
With the pace of Kevin Barthrop and Nick Humphries stretching the visitors' defence, chances started to fall to Town.
After 20 minutes Paul Lewis latched on to a loose ball on the edge of the box and calmly slotted home Town's first goal.
You may also want to watch:
The lively and youthful Sandy forward line began to create some pressure but Town's defence remained in control. With Holden winning the ball in midfield and creating openings Town looked the more likely to team to score.
A good move down the left put Lewis away and his pin-point cross into the six-yard area was met by Daryl Quinn who made no mistake from close range.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 9 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
Sandy deservedly reduced the deficit when Town's defence failed to clear the danger and a Sandy player latched onto the loose ball and drove the ball firmly past Merv Chaffey.
Colin MacArthur went close to extending Town's lead but his shot was well-saved at point blank range.
Royston Town Vets: Chaffey; King, Bowers, Flack, Allen; Barthrop, Quinn, Holden, Humphries; Lewis, C. McArthur. (Subs): Cannon, Smith.