Vets suffer first defeat of the season
Cambridge Vets 1 Royston Town Vets 0
TOWN VETS suffered their first defeat of the season against a strong Cambridge Vets side at Histon on Sunday.
The hosts looked the livelier team in the first half and had the best chances but Town goalkeeper Simon Dobson was in brilliant form and denied them a goal with a string of fine saves.
At the other end Peter Leete and Paul Lewis combined well to carve out a good opening for the former but his rasping volley was tipped round the upright by the ‘keeper.
In the second half Town looked secure with the back four of Adam Smith, Nick King, Stuart Brown and Geoff Pinner in dominant form. This generated the stability for Town to launch attacks on the Cambridge goal but the home ‘keeper was in fine form himsel.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Saggers and Paul Makowski combined to set up Saggers but his right foot shot was palmed away for a corner by the ‘keeper and another searing effort by Saggers was only just over the bar.
In the last few minutes when it looked likely the match was heading for a stalemate, Cambridge broke down the left wing and when the ball was crossed into the box it was deflected past Nick King and Brown and was somehow scrambled into the net to give Cambridge the win.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
- 10 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
Royston Town Vets: Dobson, Smith (Flack 60), King, Brown, Pinner (Allen 75), Hagger (Makowski 60), Barthrop, Saggers, Lewis (McQueen 60), Leete.