Vets suffer first defeat of the season
Cambridge Vets 1 Royston Town Vets 0
TOWN VETS suffered their first defeat of the season against a strong Cambridge Vets side at Histon on Sunday.
The hosts looked the livelier team in the first half and had the best chances but Town goalkeeper Simon Dobson was in brilliant form and denied them a goal with a string of fine saves.
At the other end Peter Leete and Paul Lewis combined well to carve out a good opening for the former but his rasping volley was tipped round the upright by the ‘keeper.
In the second half Town looked secure with the back four of Adam Smith, Nick King, Stuart Brown and Geoff Pinner in dominant form. This generated the stability for Town to launch attacks on the Cambridge goal but the home ‘keeper was in fine form himsel.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Saggers and Paul Makowski combined to set up Saggers but his right foot shot was palmed away for a corner by the ‘keeper and another searing effort by Saggers was only just over the bar.
In the last few minutes when it looked likely the match was heading for a stalemate, Cambridge broke down the left wing and when the ball was crossed into the box it was deflected past Nick King and Brown and was somehow scrambled into the net to give Cambridge the win.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Royston Town Vets: Dobson, Smith (Flack 60), King, Brown, Pinner (Allen 75), Hagger (Makowski 60), Barthrop, Saggers, Lewis (McQueen 60), Leete.