Vets suffer first defeat of the season
Cambridge Vets 1 Royston Town Vets 0
TOWN VETS suffered their first defeat of the season against a strong Cambridge Vets side at Histon on Sunday.
The hosts looked the livelier team in the first half and had the best chances but Town goalkeeper Simon Dobson was in brilliant form and denied them a goal with a string of fine saves.
At the other end Peter Leete and Paul Lewis combined well to carve out a good opening for the former but his rasping volley was tipped round the upright by the ‘keeper.
In the second half Town looked secure with the back four of Adam Smith, Nick King, Stuart Brown and Geoff Pinner in dominant form. This generated the stability for Town to launch attacks on the Cambridge goal but the home ‘keeper was in fine form himsel.
Mark Saggers and Paul Makowski combined to set up Saggers but his right foot shot was palmed away for a corner by the ‘keeper and another searing effort by Saggers was only just over the bar.
In the last few minutes when it looked likely the match was heading for a stalemate, Cambridge broke down the left wing and when the ball was crossed into the box it was deflected past Nick King and Brown and was somehow scrambled into the net to give Cambridge the win.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 7 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 8 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 9 Cambridge Literary Festival is back with first names announced for spring 2022 showpiece
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
Royston Town Vets: Dobson, Smith (Flack 60), King, Brown, Pinner (Allen 75), Hagger (Makowski 60), Barthrop, Saggers, Lewis (McQueen 60), Leete.