Vets owe victory to the mighty Quinn
Royston Town Vets 1 Goldin Old Boys 0 A DARYL Quinn second-half winner saved the Vets blushes in a game they dominated from the start. However, after failing to turn their superiority into what should have been a much more convincing win, Royston were c
Royston Town Vets 1 Goldin Old Boys 0
A DARYL Quinn second-half winner saved the Vets' blushes in a game they dominated from the start.
However, after failing to turn their superiority into what should have been a much more convincing win, Royston were certainly made to work.
And when Town looked their most dangerous, it was the elegant Quinn who looked the most threatening, twisting and turning the Old Boys' defence at every opportunity.
Despite their territorial advantage, the Vets struggled to trouble the visiting keeper, and although tempers became frayed at one stage, the first half petered out with no goals.
Colin McArthur replaced Merv Chaffey in goal for the second half, and became a virtual spectator as the hosts dominated the game.
- 1 School to make 'wide-ranging changes' following Ofsted inspection
- 2 Fowlmere residents voice objections to housing development
- 3 Kite Festival set to return to Royston next month
- 4 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 5 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 6 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 7 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 8 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
And after lots of huffing and puffing they finally took the lead 15 minutes from time, when Quinn coolly slotted home a cross from the left.
It was a workmanlike performance from Town, although their inability to create chances will no doubt be questioned.
Royston Town Vets: Chaffey, Jackson, Stubbs, Flack, Bowers, Silenti, Quinn, K Barthrop, Leete, Lewis, Humphries. (Subs): McArthur, Glenn, Cannon, Crawley, Allen.