Vets on the rampage
Royston Rugby Vets 28 Cambridge St Neots Vets 15 ROYSTON Vets sought to wipe their last game from their minds and with a much changed team especially in the backs due to injuries they travelled to St Neots to play what turned out to be quite a close game.
Royston Rugby Vets 28 Cambridge St Neots Vets 15
ROYSTON Vets sought to wipe their last game from their minds and with a much changed team especially in the backs due to injuries they travelled to St Neots to play what turned out to be quite a close game.
With the wind on their backs in the first half Royston needed points on the board to defend when they knew would be a very difficult second half.
Keeping it close and with some powerful play by new prop Stevie Pattmore Royston soon put pressure on the St Neots line and it was only a matter of time before they broke the deadlock.
You may also want to watch:
That score came following some quick passing from the backs as Billy Payne lurked out in the open. He found the space and raced over the line, dummied a tackler and scored under the posts.
Steff Gordon certainly had his kicking boots on as he converted Royston all four of their tries in a tricky wind.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
Royston were soon back on the offensive and rather than kick they chose to drive the ball up the middle but soon met the brick wall of Steve Luckman who was all over the pitch.
Royston eventually scored their second and this was down to some elusive running of the backs, especially new boy Chris Richardson, as Simon Rees popped up on the outside to score.
The Crows' third came courtesy of some quick thinking from Chris Wallis who tapped a penalty and sprinted 25 metres to score under the post.
Some slack play on a line out let St Neots over for their first try and two more followed but not before some pressure play by Royston allowed Cameron Murdoch to score under the posts.
Royston: Pattmore, Payne, Boyce, Downes, Bergen, Rabbetts, Richardson, Luckman, Wallis, Gordon, Murdoch, Richards, Phillips, Crook, Rees. Subs used: Phillips, Cooper, Howell.