Vets lift Invitation Cup
Royston seal cup victory on penalties
ROYSTON TOWN Vets finished the season in style after winning the Cambs Vets Invitation Cup last week.
They won the match 4-2 on penalties after the match had ended 1-1 after 90 minutes of football at Cambridge City’s City Ground.
Press took the lead in the second half from a corner before Mark Saggers levelled the scores shortly afterwards.
As neither side could find the winner after 90 minutes the match was finally decided by a penalty shoot-out. Paul Lewis continued his fine record from the spot to put Town 1-0 up and Press then blasted their first spot kick over the bar.
You may also want to watch:
John Moulding struck his kick firmly but it hit the left post and rebounded out. Press then levelled at 1-1 with an excellent spot kick and Town went ahead again when Carlo Silenti beat the ‘keeper down the middle.
Press then levelled at 2-2 before Saggers was successful with his kick to put Town 3-2 ahead. Press missed again and it was left to Leete to convert his kick – which he duly did - to give Town an unassailable 4-2 lead.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
The game was an excellent advert for high quality Vets football and was well served by the Cambs FA-appointed referee and assistants.