Vets' fine run continues
Royston Town Vets 5 Birchanger Vets 2 ROYSTON maintained their great start to the season with a convincing win over old rivals Birchanger. Town were in commanding form from the start but it took 25 minutes to finally convert their possession into goals
Royston Town Vets 5 Birchanger Vets 2
ROYSTON maintained their great start to the season with a convincing win over old rivals Birchanger.
Town were in commanding form from the start but it took 25 minutes to finally convert their possession into goals, and when the first one arrived it came via the penalty spot for handball, Paul Lewis converting the spot kick.
Then Glen Humphries hit a hopeful shot in at the near post to extend Town's lead.
Peter Leete and Kevin Barthrop left the field with muscle strains and were replaced by Nick Humphries and Chris Bowers, but Town dominated the second half.
They deservedly opened up a three-goal lead when Nick Humphries was presented with an open goal from short range.
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 4 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
- 5 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 6 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 7 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 8 Royston Kite Festival expected to attract thousands
- 9 Johnson Matthey to build £80 million 'gigafactory' in Royston
- 10 Double murderer Ian Stewart has whole life order reduced
Although Birchanger managed to pull one back, Humphries restored the three goal lead by finishing off a fine run down the left with an unstoppable shot.
Birchanger reduced the deficit again, but Town put the match beyond any doubt with a route one goal from Dickie Harris.
Royston Town Vets: Chaffey, Stubbs, Flack, Smith, Cooper, Humphries, Barthrop, Silenti, Quinn, Leete, Lewis, Humphries, Bowers, King, Harris, Allen.